Super Contributor

KatCat1: "but she really needs 10 to 15 lbs on her frame".

Would you say the samething about someone who is 10-15 or more lbs. overweight? Especially on these QVC boards?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot@You nailed it.I don’t like reading anything tearing apart someone for their body or their looks.I do think that Celine appears sad and maybe that is why people think she looks ill.She used to sparkle and glow with happiness....hope she finds that again someday.

Honored Contributor

Re: Celine in Paris

[ Edited ]
 Sometimes pointing out the obvious( in Celine's case her being severely underweight) can start the discussion and save her life.  Her heart could stop at any time from her being so  unhealthy thin.  There is a difference between healthy thin and severely thin.  Her bones are jutting out all over her skeletal frame.  One of these days like Karen Carpenter, Celine will possibly pass away with her heart giving out. Then it is too late...

Eating Disorder Statistics How Many People Have Eating Disorders?
  • The South Carolina Department of Mental Health estimates that 8 million Americans (seven million women and one million men) have an eating disorder.
  • Eating disorder statistics provided by the National Eating Disorder Association are even higher, and indicate that 10 million American women suffer from eating disorders.
  • 10-15% of all Americans suffer from some type of serious eating disorder.
  • 61% of American adults are either overweight or obese.
  • One out of every five US adults is classified as obese (BMI of 30 or greater).
  • An estimated 10-15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males. Many clinicians believe that this figure is underreported because many men are ashamed to admit that they may be suffering from something thought to affect only women. Newsweek magazine reported 40% of 131 Cornell University football players surveyed engaged in eating disordered behaviors (bingeing and purging), with 10% classified as having clinical eating disorders. Many men suffer from bulimia under the guise of "staying in shape" and use compulsive exerciseas a form of purging.
  • Seventy-seven percent of individuals with eating disorders report that the illness can last anywhere from one to 15 years or even longer in some cases. It is estimated that approximately six percent of serious cases die. For many others, there are long-term, irreversible consequences which can affect one's physical and emotional health. Up to now, only 50% all people with this devastating disease report being cured.
  • One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia.
  • Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia.
  • 1.1% - 4.2% of females suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime.
  • As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa.
  • Studies indicate that by their first year of college, 4.5 to 18% of women and 0.4% of men have a history of bulimia.
How Dangerous are Eating Disorders?
  • Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. A study by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) reported the following eating disorder statistics:
  • 5-10% of anorexics die within 10 years after contracting the disease and 18-20% of anorexics will be dead after 20 years.
  • Anorexia nervosa has the highest death rate of any psychiatric illness (including major depression).
  • The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate of ALL causes of death for females 15-24 years old.
  • Without treatment, up to 20% of people with serious eating disorders die. With treatment, the mortality rate falls to 2-3%.
How Many People Receive Treatment for an Eating Disorder?
  • Only 1 in 10 people with eating disorders receive treatment. According to eating disorders statistics, about 80% of the girls/women who have accessed care for their eating disorders do not get the intensity of treatment they need to stay in recovery (they are often sent home weeks earlier than the recommended stay).
  • Treatment of an eating disorder in the US ranges from $500 per day to $2,800 per day. The average cost for a month of inpatient treatment is $30,000,and it is estimated that individuals with eating disorders need anywhere from 3 to 6 months of inpatient care.
Eating Disorder Statistics for Children and Adolescents
  • Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents.
  • 50% of girls between the ages of 11 and 13 see themselves as overweight.
  • According to Time magazine, 80% of all children have been on a diet by the time they've reached fourth grade.
  • 86% of people with eating disorders report onset of an eating disorder by age 20.
  • 10% report onset at ten years or younger.
Body Image and Dieting
  • Roughly 25 million men and 43 million women are dieting to lose weight. Another 21 million men and 26 million women are dieting to maintain weight. In total, there are nearly 116 million adults dieting at any given time — representing about 55% of the total adult population.
  • 91% of women surveyed on a college campus in the mid-90s had attempted to control their weight through dieting. 22% dieted "often" or "always."
  • 35% of "normal dieters" progress to pathological dieting. Of those, 20-25% progress to partial or full-syndrome eating disorders.
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Poor thing, she needs help. I know she was always thin, but this is sickly thin. I think she has a grown son, you would think he would have a heart to heart with Mom.

@blackhole99. Why do people always think your kids can fix your parent?  I can assure you that in many cases that just makes the parent madder and more determined to do as they please.  What do you know?  You are their child.

At least it works that way in my world.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

The remarks here are unkind.  Stop and think before putting your time and effort into splattering an unflattering picture of someone along with the judgements. 

No, they're not.

People are concerned about her.

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

The remarks here are unkind.  Stop and think before putting your time and effort into splattering an unflattering picture of someone along with the judgements. 

No, they're not.

People are concerned about her.

Yes, they are.  Being "concerned" about a stranger is another excuse to speculate and body shame.  It is quite a popular pastime here.

Part of the problem in this world is that people no longer "judge" what is right before their eyes and obvious.  This woman looks so bizarre that people SHOULD be concerned about her.

Her dress and her weight indicate some sort of problem is going on and people hope she will get some help.

You can't go around denying what you see and thinking that one should never address a problem.  Maybe someone will get her some help before she goes completely off the rails.

It isn't body shaming.  It's seeing the woman has some issues.  

Honored Contributor

If you all think that telling her she needs and must get help, post on her Facebook page. I can guarantee that she is not reading here, so no matter how you try and help it is useless as she won’t see it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Poor thing, she needs help. I know she was always thin, but this is sickly thin. I think she has a grown son, you would think he would have a heart to heart with Mom.

@blackhole99. Why do people always think your kids can fix your parent?  I can assure you that in many cases that just makes the parent madder and more determined to do as they please.  What do you know?  You are their child.

Well, I am assuming she is very close to her son and if your kids love you they don't want to see you destroy yourself. I realize the kid can't fix the parent, but at least try to get her some help. That's how it works in my world.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Well, I am assuming she is very close to her son and if your kids love you they don't want to see you destroy yourself. I realize the kid can't fix the parent, but at least try to get her some help. That's how it works in my world.

Nobody would have that power over her.

Anyway, she may like the way she looks and doesn't need "fixing"

Honored Contributor

People with anorexia are very secretive about  their eating disorder and will deny it just as anyone  will who has a drug, drinking etc addiction  will deny having a problem. .  You as the anorexic do not want anyone to change your routine... disrupt  your illness as you are all wrapped up in it.  The eating disorder controls your every second of every day.  Of course she denies it.  Until someone gets her into treatment,  she will continue to deny it.    

The sad thing is that treatment   is not a  fix for many. Many still die of anorexia after treatment... even famous people  like Karen Carpenter.   Best not to let it get to the point where her heart gives out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Celine in Pari

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

People with anorexia are very secretive about  their eating disorder and will deny it just as anyone  will who has a drug, drinking etc addiction  will deny having a problem. .  You as the anorexic do not want anyone to change your routine... disrupt  your illness as you are all wrapped up in it.  The eating disorder controls your every second of every day.  Of course she denies it.  Until someone gets her into treatment,  she will continue to deny it.    

The sad thing is that treatment   is not a  fix for many. Many still die of anorexia after treatment... even famous people  like Karen Carpenter.   Best not to let it get to the point where her heart gives out.

Anorexics see food as a threat.

I have no idea whether Celine is naturally very thin or anorexic.  Neither do you.