Respected Contributor

I cannot wear wool next to my skin, it itches horribly.  Several years ago I believed what I heard about cashmere, that it's soft and not itchy.  So, I purchased a sweater from the "Precious Fibers" line that the Q used to sell.  Well, I couldn't wear that either.  The scratchy factor wasn't as severe as with typical woolen items, but it still was uncomfortable. 

Does anyone else have problems wearing cashmere or is it just me? 

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

i have in the past had a problem wearing wool, but never a problem with cashmere.  there are different cashmeres and some can be more itchy than others.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Ladyroxanne,

I wondered if the cashmere sold by QVC was a lesser quality which is why it was scratchy.  Thanks for your response!

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I cannot wear wool next to my skin, it itches horribly.  Several years ago I believed what I heard about cashmere, that it's soft and not itchy.  So, I purchased a sweater from the "Precious Fibers" line that the Q used to sell.  Well, I couldn't wear that either.  The scratchy factor wasn't as severe as with typical woolen items, but it still was uncomfortable. 

Does anyone else have problems wearing cashmere or is it just me? 

Thanks!

Cashmere is a type of wool. Cashmere comes from goats instead of sheep, but it's still a wool. It's generally softer and less scratchy than sheep wool, but it really depends. Not all wools are created equally and some are scratchier and some are softer, but people who are very sensitive to wool or even allergic to wool may experience itchiness no matter how soft others say the wool is.

If I were you, I would avoid buying any type of wool without feeling it first.

Honored Contributor

I love cashmere and the only problem I have wearing it is that it is too warm for a layering pieced. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear cashmere becuase I think it's hot.

Respected Contributor

Love Love my cashmere sweaters. No itch factor for me. Make a great contrast with a leather skirt or pants. 

Honored Contributor

I cannot wear traditional wool or merino wool but I can wear good cashmere.  But it has to be good cashmere.  I have had cheap cashmere that was super scratchy and itchy.

Some here have said Precious Fibers used to make good cashmere but then the quality went downhill.  I must have tried it after the decline in quality because the one and only PF sweater I ordered I couldn't get off fast enough. 

Honored Contributor
Not all cashmere is created equal. Isaac's cashmere is very nice - but it's expensive. Costco sometimes carries nice cashmere sweaters.
Esteemed Contributor

I was wondering how Isaac's cashmere was compared to others....I am thinking of getting one of his sweaters...