Honored Contributor

Re: Cashmere used to be an investment purchase

[ Edited ]

I think PF went downhill before it left QVC and maybe that's why it was gone.  I purchased a PF twinset and it was so itchy and scratchy I couldn't wear it and I never had a problem with cashmere.

I have 2 cashmere sweaters from Kaufmann's (now Macy's) and they were great.  The problem now is they are turtlenecks and I can't do that type of neckline anymore.

I bought a Diane Gilman cashmere sweater last year from HSN. It was only one ply so it's thin but that works for me because I get very warm sometimes now adays.  LOL  

Respected Contributor

i've been lucky so far in what i've bought over the years.  land's end and nordstrom come to mind as very good quality also l&t.  i have a couple others but don't remember where they came from.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I know this has been discussed. I am going through my closets and so frustrated that I have and still wear some QVC Precious Fibers cashmere sweaters from many years ago. There is minimal if any pilling and no loss of shape. 

The IM cashmere hold up pretty good. I would give it a grade of B. Talbots grade B-. Ann Taylor grade C-. The Ann Taylor are in the donated box. I am looking at Nordstrom's in house cashmere and at less than $100, it is probably a wear one season and donate. Even NM items are just thin and flimsy. 

@granddiYou need to up your budget for better Cashmere.  Sounds like having to drink beer when you really want champagne.  YES, the pricier items tend to be better.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

When I worked for Dillards the first year after I retired from teaching I began to see retail and products from a different perspective.

We had some cashmere brought in that was thin and wasn't as soft as it should have been.  People attacked the display to essentally get "something" for nothing.

Of course people want a deal.  I totally get that, I want one.  I do not, however, want the quality level brought down to bring the savings up.  With the larger wardrobes of today, people don't invest in good clothing the way they used to.  Where lux fibers were bought and warn repeatedly reducing the cost per wearing, today we want it "now" at a very low price, but that isn't reality.  

Over all, good companies are disappearing or shown much less in faver of cheaper ones.  Look at Rubbermaid and Pyrex.  Instead of Pyrex, we see things like Fire King.  We used to see those brands everywhere.

Good items are still out there if you're willing to pay.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I bought a cashmere sweater set at Macy's and found I can't wear it. Makes me very itchy and when I take it off I am all blochy. Saves me a lot of money as I love how soft it is & if I could wear it I'd be buying it. I gave those sweaters to my cousin who was very happy to get them.

Why not just wear a silk thermal top under it?  I use this trick with itchy wool.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think PF went downhill before it left QVC and maybe that's why it was gone.  I purchased a PF twinset and it was so itchy and scratchy I couldn't wear it and I never had a problem with cashmere.

@Lipstickdiva ...

I think you're right about this ... the very first year was fantastic and the colors were gorgeous.   I still have a few of those ...

Fast forward to second year ... flimsy and shapeless.   The Q has a habit of dumbing down once it has a winner.

Respected Contributor

Love love my cashmere sweaters and wraps. They go so well with my leather skirts and pants which I also deem an investment.

Esteemed Contributor

I find Lands End cashmere to be very good quality.  I also have two of IM's cashmere cardigans, a cable knit cream colored one and a black and white jacquard which I really love.  I also like Talbot's Audrey style cashmere.  

Honored Contributor

I have 2 cashmere sweater sets that belonged to my mother; purchased in the mid 50's. OMG, the thickness and the softness is off the chart!!!!

I own lots of cashmere and some were more money than I care to admit...NONE come close to these 2 sets. *heavy sigh*

Honored Contributor

For the cashmere lovers-

Daily deal at LLB

Women's Classic Cashmere Sweater, Hoodie

Item #:TK287010

We traveled worldwide to find the finest cashmere—you can find it here, irresistibly soft and fresh with color.

Fabric
  • Crafted from the finest two-ply Inner Mongolian cashmere.
Additional Features
  • Sporty zip-front style with kangaroo pockets.
  • Narrow ribbed trim.
Size & Fit
  • Slightly Fitted: Softly shapes the body.
  • Falls at hip.