Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carol Hochman withdrawal

jonbon wrote:

itsmagic wrote:

@Sunshine45  I just did some online research and Komar Brands owns both Carole Hochman and Cuddle Duds. 

According to their website, Komar does many lines in addition to Carole Hochman (and Cuddle Duds), including sleepwear by Stan Herman, Betsey Johnson, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Lanz of Salzburg, Nautica, Kate Spade NY, kensie, Oscar de la Renta Pink Label, Company Ellen Tracy, Eileen West, AK Anne Klein, DKNY, Jockey, Chaps, Lucky Brand, Tommy Bahama Island Sleepwear, and Ellen Tracy.

The list of brands for which Komar is the manufacturer of their pjs/loungewear apparel is not surprising. This is a common situation in cosmetics, fashion and accessories (including pjs and underwear).  The consumer is buying a name. Most people don't know-- or care -- that in the big picture of worldwide manufacturing these products, there are very few.

While I have been satisfied with my QVC Carole Hochman purchases, I stopped buying this brand from QVC a long time ago.  It doesn't make sense to spend $60 for a sleepshirt I can get for less than $30 (even it means buying from the sale racks) at one of the local department or discount stores.  This story of a designer losing the right to use their own name seems like an unfortunate thing, but the designer usually makes a huge profit in these licensing agreements. However, I've always been one to think our name is a valuable possession, but of course no one has ever offered millions of dollars for mine. I'd probably sell out too.  

I look forward to seeing what Carole brings to HSN.