Honored Contributor

Re: Caring for sweaters - hints, ideas?

@ALRATIBA  No,  I don't mean about mesh bags.   My post has words "click here".   When you see that,  it's a link to some information. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@peachesncream I chuckled at your saying you can only do one at a time - for the longest time I complained I could only do three at a time.  So I bought three more drying racks!  I wear a LOT of sweaters.  They sell mesh drying racks that are stackable and then it only takes up the space of one.

Unless they need to be dry cleaned, I just put them in the washing machine on delicate and lay flat.  My big problem is storing them.

Honored Contributor

I'm lazy by nature when laundry is involved. When sweater shopping, I check the label for machine wash/dry low and then maybe go up a size in case it shrinks. I also never purchase light color sweaters so they need washing/cleaning less often. Biggest rule: always wear a red sweater to an Italian restaurant. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ALRATIBA  No,  I don't mean about mesh bags.   My post has words "click here".   When you see that,  it's a link to some information. 

@Kachina624  

Oh, thanks for that.  I've seen that method before.  

I only have two sweaters that are fine gauge like  that.  The others are either too long or too heavy to be hung that way.  They really need to be stored flat to keep them from stretching.  Loosely folded on the closet shelf works best - no creases and the fibers aren't matted down.  

Honored Contributor

I wash my sweaters in cold water, gentle detergent (brand doesn't matter to me), and lay flat to dry. I never use a mesh bag or put them into th dryer. I can't wear wool or cashmere; makes me itch. 

Respected Contributor

I wash on cold, delicate cycle in my washing machine. Then I lay out to dry. 

Respected Contributor

I always put my cashmere in cold in the washing machine, and lay out to dry. They come out fine. I think I heard this tip from one of the QVC hosts years ago and I have done it ever since. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Repeating what jacketthebear wrote.  As a knitter I have learned that Eucalan is the best thing to wash sweaters with. There is no rinsing and they smell wonderful afterwards.  Less harsh on knit fabric than woolite.  I would never use Woolite again.  Can be purchased at knitting shops or on line at knitting shops.  A little goes a long way.  Well worth the purchase.  If you don't have a local knitting shop, easily ordered from "Webs" in Massachusetts, one of the biggest retailers in the country for knitting supplies.