Highlighted
Valued Contributor

There is more and more fringe in everyday fashion. Isaac for instance had a top last Friday that was shown that had it along the edges as a trim. C. Wonder uses a lot of tassels.   My question: how do you keep the fringe threads from twisting up and knotting in the wash?  I have also had fringe details that started to pull meaning the threads became longer and you either have to cut it or pull them out.

Respected Contributor

I'm not speaking from experience but what I would try is putting the article in a mesh bag and washing it on the gentle cycle, then gently rearranging the fringe and hanging the garment to dry.

Honored Contributor

That's the exact reason I won't buy fringe.  I need things simple.  LOL.  I'd go the mesh bag route too and dry flat.

Valued Contributor

@Texasmouse thanks for the idea about the mesh bag, it makes sense to me!  I really like a few tops some people offer but the tassle or fringe makes me think twice when I have to be concerned about the care.

Respected Contributor

I don't buy anything with fringe because my cat would think it was a toy.  Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

For tassels and other dangly bits I will put plastic wrap over them and secure the plastic with tape or a knot, then wash in gentle cycle or in mesh bag.

I washed a heavily fringed suede jacket on the gentle cycle and hung it dry; no problems, the fringe just needed a little tug here-and-there to hang down properly again.

Valued Contributor

@Catty2  I would have the same problem with those little tassles, we have three cats.  I don't think I need to explain any further! Smiley Happy