Honored Contributor

Re: Can we look any sloppier?

@Andreatoo wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

The half tuck came about because of ridiculously long tunic tops! Not all of us like the look of excess fabric hanging around our hip or are concerned with hiding the fact that we're female! In many instances a simple half tuck can eliminate the look of pounds and width! and with the volume of some pieces it's just not practical to tuck ALL THAT FABRIC into your pants!

At 5'2 with a short torso I'm thrilled the hemlines are finally coming back up! Meanwhile I employ the partial tuck plenty!

@Andreatoo  Yes!  I couldn't have said it better!

@2blonde

But to be completely fair it does confuse the ****** out of my husband! lol

@Andreatoo  I see men half tucking, front tucking, too....ooh must be careful typing here 😜....but not my 74 yr. old DH. Style’s not his middle name.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@2blonde

But to be completely fair it does confuse the ****** out of my husband! lol

@2blonde

My DH doesn’t understand the half tuck either.  I have tried it a few times with my jeans but can’t get it to look right on me. Looks cute on others.

@wilma  There is a trick to it.  It has to be off-center and you have to let some of the shirt hang down a bit.  I find when I do it on the fly, it turns out better than when I start messing with it!

@2blonde  A really cute belt buckle helps pull off the look as well.

Honored Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

@ginirn wrote:

hate that look.  What immediately comes to mind is the wearer jumping up in the bathroom and rushing out.  

Exactly!  Add some toilet paper to a shoe to complete the look

@tipsy  😝😝😝😝😝😝😝

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Maybe they are just trying to flaunt the fact that their stomach is flat enough to do it? ...But if that were the case, why not tuck the entire shirt in?  It's like the front of the shirt tucked it says ''Look at me !"  and the back of the shirt hanging out says "" Don't even think about it''....Talking about mixed signals !  Not my style for sure.

@sarahpanda, I'm sure that many flat-stomach people don't like to tuck in an entire top but like the casual look of a half tuck.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Oh, I know exactly the type you are referring to!  How exciting you live in a college town.  Very cool.

Esteemed Contributor

This look is hardly new. It isn't even just a couple of years old. When I was in high school and graduated in 1988 this was considered a preppy look that many girls used to do including myself. If done the right way it can look really cute and chic. I do think having a certain body types lends itself to looking different than others. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

For me, this is a sloppy look:

rs_634x1024-140807184828-634-sofia-vergara-modern-family.ls.8714.jpg

This is not, in my opinion:

thU9ZGWPA2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sarahpanda wrote:

Maybe they are just trying to flaunt the fact that their stomach is flat enough to do it? ...But if that were the case, why not tuck the entire shirt in?  It's like the front of the shirt tucked it says ''Look at me !"  and the back of the shirt hanging out says "" Don't even think about it''....Talking about mixed signals !  Not my style for sure.

@sarahpanda, I'm sure that many flat-stomach people don't like to tuck in an entire top but like the casual look of a half tuck.

@suzyQ3that's the case for me.  Sure, I could do a full tuck; I think it is stuffy and uncomfortable for me.  The half-tuck works better for me most of the time.

Honored Contributor

i wear this look frequently.  I always do a half tuck.  I don't think it looks sloppy at all.  I'm almost always in jeans anyway.  I even wear heels with it.  

Honored Contributor

This look has been around for a while but for some reason it has been brought to the fore front.  I think it looks good for photos and looks good with jeans but not all the time. 

kindness is strength