Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Wait Until Ankle and Above Ankle Pants

I like them.  Back in the day, when we were kids, we hated wearing pants that were too short.  They were referred to as "flood pants" or "high water pants".  Kids would make fun of you.  We liked wearing them longer but if you started growing, but they still fit otherwise, our parents made us wear them for awhile any way.  Money didn't grow on trees!  

I like regular length of pants, ankle lenth, crop, capri, etc.  I really don't like my slacks to drag all over the ground though.  If they are too long and they are dragging the gorund and get all soiled and soggy if it rains -- yuck.  Better to go a bit shorter.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

In my day, they were  called highwaters.

Respected Contributor

I don't like the picture the OP posted.

I do like straight leg ankle pants though.

Esteemed Contributor

Being tall, I always had to shop long and hard for slacks that were long enough.  NO WAY would I wear ankle or above ankle pants, looks like I gave up or grew out of them!!

Esteemed Contributor

These short pants, especially the wide legged styles, remind me of kids who are growing out of their clothes. On the other hand, we petites love ankle pants because we can finally get inseams that are right for us,

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls  Me, too!!!!!!!!!!  Most of my teen/young adult life I could rarely find pants that were long enough for my tall frame.  Back then, it was rare to find "tall" pants.  Since then, I have an aversion to ankle pants, and even crops.  To those who like them, enjoy.  They're just not my style and never will be.  (To the poster who mentioned "highwaters", I hear ya!!!!)

Honored Contributor

My employer has a strict dress code, so guess what, ankle pants are a no-no.   Although I am 5'5", I'm all legs, I'm short-waisted.   So I end up wearing pants that have too much material down around the ankles, which is not flattering.

I like a nice tapered leg, a touch below my ankle.   Not easy to find and I've designated this time of year to refresh my pant wardrobe.  Luckily, many styles have a tall, regular & short so when I do find something, I buy several pair.

One tall lady at work was called out by HR for a pair of pants she was wearing, which on me would have been perfect.   But on her they were the dreaded ankle pants.  Ankle pants are very flattering & stylish but the length has to be right.

Respected Contributor

My picture was an exaggeration and I'm all for a slimmer ankle pant (much like Audrey Hepburn wore), although I don't care for them on me.  A skinny jean has it's place but I still like them to cover my ankle.  But I like to wear a different type shoe (other than a flat) during colder weather but it's really hard trying to find a straight leg jean.  Even at the Gap where I used to buy mine. 

Regular Contributor

LOL!  I used to feel the same way about the short cardigans /shrugs when they first became popular.  It looked like everyone was wearing their child's sweater.  But then it started growing on me and I wound up loving the look.  That's how I am with styles... takes me a long time to warm up to certain looks.   Crop  and ankle pants were big around 30? years ago and I finally liked them (then) and I still like them.  The ripped with holes and torn look of jean....I will never get used to.  

Valued Contributor

I'm not totally opposed to ankle length, but I think the manufacturers and retailers don't want to move on because they are easier to mass produce for a bigger profit.   Think about it,  years ago pants had to be a specific length to fit right.  I am tall so I need a 32-33 inch inseam.  Another woman may need 29" ,etc.  with "ankle, Capri, cropped, etc., it's open-ended.  Wherever they hit you is "right".  Plus think of the fabric saved.  That translates into $ for manufacturers.