Respected Contributor

Re: Can Your DH Pick Out Your Clothes and Jewelry?

No, but he picks out good gift certificates!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  After 5 decades, DH knows my style, colors, tastes and sizes, etc. He has great taste in jewelry, too. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

No, but he picks out good gift certificates!

@peachesncream 

You are lucky he figured it out!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

That's hilarious! 🤣🤣🤣 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband has picked out some really beautiful things for me.  He's given me some not so nice things.  His heart was in the right place, and I would never criticize him.  

I wouldn't dare shame him on this board by making him out to be someone who can't pick out a beautiful gift.  

Shameful...

Honored Contributor

DH has always done this! I never bought jewelry for myself until about 20 years ago. He knows I love southwestern, so he found a small jeweler he liked (no longer in business) and frequented him often.

Same with clothes- SA's have always commented how great he is about selecting items. Coldwater Creek was one of my favorite places until they closed. The SA's in our nearest store knew him by name and even eventually bought his favorite magazine to add to the others in the waiting area!

We look at catalogues together and he will make suggestions. If I watch QVC he will walk through once in a while and say something would look good on me. Sometimes I'll show him something I want and he'll suggest another color. He's got a better "eye" than I do!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

That would be a definite "no" for clothes.  Like @ECBG 's DH, he isn't a shopper, even for himself.  And he has no idea about styles or colors.  But over the years he has given me some beautiful jewelry.👍

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

He picks them out when I circle them in the catalog and show them to him!

Seriously, I am a SHOPPER, DH is not.  For me, the hunt is part of the fun.

I also know oodles more than him about jewelry, gemstones, designers, styles, fabric, fit, and so forth, and he knows it.  But he knows more about mechanics, cars, tools, house parts, etc. (Together more than 40 years.) We are a great team.

Honored Contributor

No, not really.  In the earlier years, he did pick out a few nice jewelry items, but later on he seemed to have not gotten it right, so he gave up and told me to pick things I liked.  As for clothes, no, not at all.  You would think that seeing you every day that would see the kinds of things you wear andlike, but it doesn't seem to work that way!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

My husband has bought all my pajamas since before we were married.  Every one a winner!   I've come to expect new jammies and slippers for every Christmas and birthday. 

He's surprised me with some nifty vests, jackets, and t-shirts too.  But, for the most part, he shops for his clothes and I shop for mine.  

Jewelry has been hit and miss.  He prefers big, gaudy pieces and I like dainty.  But he knows I love dark tanzanite, and he's given me lots of that.  Yay!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt