Honored Contributor

Re: Can Supermarkets Save Dying Suburban Malls?

Back when malls were being built - people were crying about the death of mom&pop stores and downtown shopping areas.  I recall seeing pictures from all across the country of vacant, boarded up "Main Streets."

We've come full circle.  Malls are dying and downtowns are coming back to life.  Mom and Pop are back in business.

(I was never a big fan of malls.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wouldn't fight the traffic in the area or drive that far to get to the mall to get groceries.  Too much of a hassle.  I haven't been to the local mall for years.  I want my grocery store close and handy. 

Amen to this!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

When Macys in White Plains moved to the Galleria, it was replaced by a tall mall which included a huge Shop rite

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It was nice, working and living and grocery shopping in the same area.  Such a time-saving situation, let alone the absence of stress. (More or less)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Our two biggest malls are located very near Super WMarts and this in itself poses a big threat to any retailers inside the malls, including supermarkets of any sort. I've already seen it happen here. I think malls are doomed and will be gone in the future.

Respected Contributor

The closest mall to me is one floor, and they're losing the Rue 21 store. The last time I was there it was steady, but not packed. They've tried hard to cater to younger, upscale shoppers. They forced a buffet restaurant, Cactus Willie's (which I liked) in place of Red Robin. There's also a Greene Turtle, an Italian place, Friendly's, Qdoba, Bonefish Grill, Five Guys, Jimmy John's, a sweet shop, and a pretzel stand. It's anchored by Macy's and Sears. I don't see the whole mall closing up anytime soon though.