Valued Contributor

Re: Can Supermarkets Save Dying Suburban Malls?

I think a supermarket at the mall is a great idea! It's killing two birds with one stone. Everyone has to eat, and many malls have large vacant spaces.  Although I enjoy some online shopping (and tv shopping...hellooooo), I want a b & m store! I want a mall! I like to walk around, window shop, get lunch, and people watch on a cold day. It's pretty boring to do those things in my mall. It's on life support.

Valued Contributor

This is quite interesting to me because back in the 70's, as a teenager and then going to college, there was a nice grocery store in the mall where I worked. Lots of us would pick up lunch/dinner because it was cheaper and quicker than going to a restaurant outside. Maybe mall trends are jumping back to the 70s like fashion trends. What goes around, comes around.

Then at this mall, there were 5&10 stores likes Woolworth who also had a lunch counter. Not just shoe store after shoe store or jean stores, we had a small lower level that was Tandy Corporation that included small stores like Radio Shack, Tandy leather goods and Pier One. 

The mall was revamped and renamed in the 80s, where a SuperTarget took over the Montgomery Wards area, and it has done well (because it is still open for business when I visit the city).

I don't go to malls anymore where I live. There is nothing I need or even want and restaurants have left. The stores I visit are in strip centers being built everywhere, and I can park near the store entrance.

Respected Contributor

The mall in my hometown has a Planet Fitness. I have never even set foot in the mall when I go to workout. I doubt it drives much foot traffic into the mall, but it does provide rent revenue for what might otherwise be empty space.
Honored Contributor

Suburban malls are set to fail.  It is what the government wants.  They will house homeless.  Suburbs will become what cities once were.   Cities will return to what they were originally, where people worked and lived.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if grocery stores can save a dying mall. Grocery stores can't even save a dying strip mall.

But I have to wonder why a big mall doesn't even have a decent drugstore in it, why bother? When I visit my U.S. relatives we don't visit the local big mall at all. It's outlet stores or T.J. Maxx and Marshall's we visit. I think when you have a group of people shopping all at once like when we are visiting, you are limited time wise and store wise as to what you will pick and choose. My relatives seldom visit their local big mall either and part of it I think has to do with not feeling safe there. A grocery store wouldn't change anything.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't fight the traffic in the area or drive that far to get to the mall to get groceries.  Too much of a hassle.  I haven't been to the local mall for years.  I want my grocery store close and handy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The mall near where I grew up is doing this. It's actually an improvement as they were putting some lackluster stores inside. This is not a fancy mall - Aldi's is the grocery store and it has access to the mall. The Bed Bath and Beyond does not have an entrance to the mall, but at least there is a long hallway near the entrance where you don't have to go outside. They also have an attached Michael's Craft Store and it's completely cut off; you need to go back outside to go between that store and the mall. I just think that's dumb and certainly doesn't improve mall foot traffic.
Honored Contributor

In White Plains NY, the City Center (tall mall) replaced Macy's about 12 years ago, in the basement there is a Target, but there is also a Super Stop and Shop, a 10 plex movie and a preforming Arts Center

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Up to 25% of U.S. shopping malls may close in the next five years, report says

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-malls-closing-20170531-story.html

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor

White Flint mall closed 2 yrs ago (except for Lord & Taylor, who is suing mall's owner).  Supposedly the mixed-use development will have a Wegmans, which would be awesome b/c I wouldn't have to trek to Columbia or Germantown.