Honored Contributor

Can Supermarkets Save Dying Suburban Malls?

Supermarkets are moving into vacant mall anchor spaces left by shuttered Macy's, JC Penney and Sears stores.

Other businesses, like restaurants, movie theaters, and fitness clubs are following suit. These represent 'experiences,' which are immune from online competition. Like it or not, mall shopping will never be the same...

Here's the link to an informative article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/can-supermarkets-save-dying-suburban-malls/2...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Can Supermarkets Save Dying Suburban Malls?

What does this have to do with fashion really??... this thread should be under Community Chat.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

What does this have to do with fashion really??... this thread should be under Community Chat.

To me, shopping malls were always all about fashion. But unfortunately that is beginning to change...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am in southern WV, and the number of shoppers at our local mall has dropped dramatically.   The Christmas season is the only time you see hundreds of cars in the parking lot.  

I feel confident a chain grocery store in our mall would draw a lot more shoppers.   The key to success tho would be in the chain store being something totally new to WV; like Harris Teeter, Aldi, even Piggly Wiggly.  This area of the county has 1 Kroger store left out of 3, a Save-a-Lot, a Food Lion, Sam's Club, 3 privately owned grocery stores, along with 2 Wal-Mart stores.

In all honesty, there is absolutely nothing that draws me to the mall.  I don't shop for anything but groceries; I just don't like to waste my time walking around looking at "stuff".  Mall shopping went out of my life when my youngest daughter graduated from high school.   However, a new grocery store, or a restaurant like O'Charley's would definitely draw me to the mall.   

Honored Contributor

My problem with malls is all the walking and the fact you have to make instant decisions or risk another trip later.  With TV I can think it over and with QVC even cancel the next day if necessary.  Warning:  You cannot cancel with Evine. 

Respected Contributor

Our mall took down Sears and is adding a Whole Foods 360 and an Ulta.  During the week there are virtually no people at the mall - it's a college town, so I think the college kids spend their parents money at the mall on weekends.  I think malls as we have known them are a thing of the past.  I don't think the Whole Foods will work out - we have a Lucky, two locally owned organic stores (which both expanded a few years ago and have since closed their second stores), another new organic market going in across town opened this week.  Our Kroger is huge and has an expanded organic section, right down the street from the mall.  I'd love to see them put another Aldi's in on this side of town.

Trusted Contributor

One of our malls has remodeled some sections to add Whole Foods, Target, Nordstrom Rack and several restuarants. But I don't think that has translated into more overall foot traffic within the mall itself. This is not a huge mall BTW; only one floor and easy to walk from end-to-end.

So far our JCPenneys and Macy's anchors are still there and I think Penneys is actually doing fine. The restuaurants can be accessed from the outside and parking lot near them is PACKED.

There is always a line to check-out at Nordstorm Rack. Although I was not excited to hear that it was coming in I have been pleasantly surprised with the stock in the store. I haven't purchased clothes but I have purchased accessories. They also have these little bins of impulse discounted makeup items that could easily suck money out of the wallet!

Respected Contributor

I hope it will work moving grocery stores, restaurants and fitness clubs, etc. into malls.

I'm not sure though.  If I go workout at the mall, or go out to dinner, I doubt I will go shopping before or after.  In fact, I know I won't.

Nope, just don't think it will work.

Respected Contributor

It's ashame that the malls & shopping centers are half empty. All those vacant stores. I live in Az. (very hot) we have farmer's market that pitch tents for their produce. I always thought if they can just rent an a/c store would be great. The venders close by noon cuz the heat on produce & on theirselves takes a toll. They could stay open longer if they were in a building. Maybe the rent is expensive but I always wonder why selling in this heat under a tent.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps those mega supermarkets might give some life to dying malls someplace.  Hope so because they can be an eye sore and depressing.    Probably not where I live because Wegeman's and stores like that build brand new, from the ground up.  They aren't renovating.   The supermarket thing isn't for everyone.  I do 90% of my grocery shopping online....just like with everything else.  Time is important to me and I'm at the point where I don't want to spend it pusing a cart around supermarket.  It's funny that this would come up, my younger daughter has a 10 week old baby and we had a similar conversation about time.  With work, her home and now the baby; she count out the un--necessary stuff and grocery shopping fell into that category for her.