Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I wear white pants to a wedding?

@mom2four0418 

Had to laugh at your comment ...

Deserve to wear white?? LOL. At this point, I'm just happy when two people I know decide to *get* married.

I've  been to a few weddings the past couple of years and it does seem like anything goes at casual, outdoor weddings. The real consideration for me would be ... what shoes can I wear that won't sink into the grass and mess up my heels? Smiley Happy 

Wear the white pants and the pretty blue LDO jacket and have a fabulous time.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Wear the white pants!

Contributor

Had to laugh, when I told my DH my quandry he said but isn't the " white dress" ,   for the bride because she is a "virgin", and they have been living together for 4 years!

Times change!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

No.  I absolutely would not.  White is the bride's color at the wedding and I don't care where or when it is, or who cares or doesn't, I would not simply out of respect.

But that's me.  I just wouldn't want to take the chance that anyone would think it disrespectful.  But I am a very "in your face I am who I am no matter what you think" type.  So I probably am vastly in the minority here. 

A man IN my wedding wore white pants (summer) and there he is in all the pictues.  I remember thinking REALLY, you HAD to wear white pants?  He did it just to be a pill. 

@Sooner 

You are an "in your face I am who I am no matter what you think" type' but you wouldn't wear white pants for fear of someone thinking you as being disrepectful?  Sounds very contradictory.

I also think that anyone who would find it disrespectful is being a pill.

Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

Heck there will probably be people wearing white shorts! Go for it. 

Let's hope no one shows up to a wedding wearing shorts!!! Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

No.  I absolutely would not.  White is the bride's color at the wedding and I don't care where or when it is, or who cares or doesn't, I would not simply out of respect.

But that's me.  I just wouldn't want to take the chance that anyone would think it disrespectful.  But I am EDIT: NOT a very "in your face I am who I am no matter what you think" type.  So I probably am vastly in the minority here. 

A man IN my wedding wore white pants (summer) and there he is in all the pictues.  I remember thinking REALLY, you HAD to wear white pants?  He did it just to be a pill. 

@Sooner 

You are an "in your face I am who I am no matter what you think" type' but you wouldn't wear white pants for fear of someone thinking you as being disrepectful?  Sounds very contradictory.

I also think that anyone who would find it disrespectful is being a pill.

Cat Very Happy

@QueenDanceALot  Woman Embarassed   Actually I'm an old peson who can't think and type and talk to my husband all at once!  Thanks for proofing for me!!!!  I'll FIX that!  Woman Embarassed Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

As long as you aren't dressed in white head to toe, I think white pants with a different color top would be perfect for an outdoor wedding.  Enjoy the day!

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@carlycat wrote:

Heck there will probably be people wearing white shorts! Go for it. 

Let's hope no one shows up to a wedding wearing shorts!!! Smiley Surprised

@Diva on The Q, they more than likely will.  I attended a wedding and reception Saturday.  There were men in shorts, gym shoes and white work socks and there was another man in khaki pants with a t-shirt that had the logo of a florida bar on it.  

This was not a casual wedding.  The bride was in a gown, bridesmaids all in dresses, groom and groomsmen in tuxes.  I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw some of the outfits. 

Honored Contributor

Here's my question:  WHY do it?  Do you only have a white item to wear?  If that is the case, and the Salvation Army or Good Will has no suitable alternative, the perhaps.

But my question is WHY do it if there is any chance someone would think something about it, or think it looks bad in the photos?  What's the point here? 

Respected Contributor

Maybe it's a "regional" thing or something "not done" in certain families.  I know where I live...and any wedding I have attended....no one would think a thing about a guest wearing white to a wedding, as long as it wasn't a long white gown.  

White pants, skirt, or a white dress with a small print, a white jacket or shawl....I certainly would have no problem with it, nor would any of my friends or relatives.

If you showed up dressed in a long white ballgown...then yes, it would appear you wanted to "upstage" the bride.  But normal white clothing...not an issue for me.