Contributor

Can I wear white pants to a wedding?

Going to a wedding 4th of July at a lake front  resort in Pennsylvania. Weddding will be held outside at 3pm .  Planning on wearing  Louis's lace jacket in blue with white pants or can wear black pants. Prefer white pants as it is kind of casual wedding but unsure about white as "in the olden days" bride only wore white. Help!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Can I wear white pants to a wedding?

I would feel comfortable wearing white pants. 

Honored Contributor

go ahead--I did once. was just fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's okay because you're wearing a blue jacket.

I bet a lot of people going to be wearing  red, white, and blue.

Respected Contributor

@frisco   Yes, wear the white pants (it's not a white dress like the bride), and maybe you might add a red accessory for the red-white-blue holiday!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No.  I absolutely would not.  White is the bride's color at the wedding and I don't care where or when it is, or who cares or doesn't, I would not simply out of respect.

But that's me.  I just wouldn't want to take the chance that anyone would think it disrespectful.  But I am OOPS! EDIT: NOT  a very "in your face I am who I am no matter what you think" type.  So I probably am in the minority here because I tend to be one not to say something--I clarified that too. I will err on the side of not standing out, and I know that's not the way a lot of people do things now. 

A man IN my wedding wore white pants (summer) and there he is in all the pictues.  I remember thinking REALLY, you HAD to wear white pants?  He did it just to be a pill. 

Respected Contributor

@mac116 The only reason I wouldn't is because out doors they will soil easily . 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I would.

I hope you have great weather and enjoy the party!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I would not wear black pants to a 4th of July wedding.  I don't see anything wrong with wearing a pair of plain white pants, especially because you are wearing a blue jacket.  I wouldn't wear a white suit and I wouldn't wear white lace pants but I see nothing wrong with regular white pants.    

Esteemed Contributor

I went to a wedding about 10 years ago, it was also outdoors.  The mother of the bride wore white pants.  Don't remember what was on top, but it was some other color.  I remember thinking at the time that this was in bad taste, especially for the mother of the bride.  It would probably be fine for you as an attendee.  But I try to live by the motto of, "When in doubt, don't".  Have fun at the wedding and reception!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead