Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I take a large brooch on an airline

@NJgirl 1205

I always have to have the full wanding, etc. because I have a total knee replacement.  Would I be correct in assuming that applying for this program wouldn't change that?  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I work for the Department of Defense and travel on a regular basis.  I get TSA Pre free through my job and I think it is available to most federal government employees.  I have a security clearance and a  background investigation has already been performed so there is no further vetting involved for me -- I just applied through my agency's automated travel system. I am quite sure that the authorities do some sort of background check before it is approved.  The great thing about it for me is that I can use it on personal travel as well. The known traveler ID number that is required is on my Government ID card. It has saved me a great deal of time in airports because most of the time the lines are much shorter or practically non-existent.  I am surprised that anyone had a problem at BWI.  I use that airport all the time and I find that security runs very well there and is usually faster than most airports. 

I travel with jewelry (costume/fashion) all of the time (including pins)in my carry on and have never had a problem with TSA not allowing it through. 

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@NJgirl 1205

I always have to have the full wanding, etc. because I have a total knee replacement.  Would I be correct in assuming that applying for this program wouldn't change that?  

@shoesnbagsI'm sorry, I don't know.

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

TSA Pre-check is a program where you don't have to remove or take anything off when going through security.  You can sign up online.  I love it.  Pre-check line is always shorter.

@qbetzforreal

Wow! I wonder if the terrorists are aware that they can put some explosive or weapon in their shoe but simply sign up on line to get it past security?

I feel very safe now...

@Andreatoo- You have to go through a prescreening process.  Not everyone is accepted. 

Respected Contributor

I would think it would be no big deal to leave it at home.  It is not something you need.

Now, I need a lighted magnifying mirror.  LOL  I'm serious though.  I need to pluck daily at my age.  I have one that even though it is a travel mirror, it is full sized.  It also plugs in (not battery).  I make DH carry it padded in a carry-on along with a few other things. That mirror causes me trouble most every time.  TSA says it is because of the round shape and wiring.  Of course they always let it through after checking it out and it is worth the hassle.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I do think the rules are applied airport to airport.  I have TSA PRE and I sail through.  Hubby is always stopped (medical part) no matter what kind of clearance we have.  In Baltimore it was brutal, in Ft. Lauderdale a pleasure.  You got to know I did complain. Why pay all that for a TSA PRE and be hassled.  

@bonnielu

Are you saying that your hubby is stopped in spite of having TSA PRE because he has a joint replacement?  I'm asking because I have a total knee replacement and assumed that it was pointless to get TSA PRE because I'd get pulled aside for extra screening anyway.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @NJgirl 1205.  

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@NJgirl 1205

@shoesnbagsI'm sorry, I don't know.

Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

TSA Pre-check is a program where you don't have to remove or take anything off when going through security.  You can sign up online.  I love it.  Pre-check line is always shorter.

@qbetzforreal

Wow! I wonder if the terrorists are aware that they can put some explosive or weapon in their shoe but simply sign up on line to get it past security?

I feel very safe now...

@Andreatoo- You have to go through a prescreening process.  Not everyone is accepted. 

I have the TSA precheck. I had to get interviewed and fingerprinted.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown