Respected Contributor

Can I take a large brooch on an airline

I haven't traveled by plane in many years and the items one can take seem to have changed. I wear a large brooch on my coat which I can leave at home.

However I have a brooch for my lbd that's about two inches in diameter. I am only doing carry on luggage.

I've never traveled with pins before. Many years ago I had a tiny antique scissors in my purse that was confiscated. It was really beautiful and I think the woman going through my luggage wanted it. She told me it would be sent to me and it wasn't.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I take a large brooch on an airline

I do not think that it would be a problem; but if it becomes one, ask for a supervisor.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@lavendar

I know many don't have Twitter or Facebook to ask this question

online, but here's a snapshot of their Twitter account....which

gives a toll-free # to call & ask if a brooch can be in your carry on.

HTH!!

#866-289-9673

IMG_0871.JPG

Trusted Contributor

No worries.  You will be allowed.

Honored Contributor

i wear all types of jewelry while going through security.....including pins/brooches. i just remove it all, place it into a bowl, and let it go through the scanner. i then retrieve it on the other side once i have gone through. if you are worried about it, place it in your handbag and put your jewelry on after you go through security. you really should have no problems.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thank you. Don't they check your purse? That's how I lost the scissors.

Respected Contributor

I never travel with anything that may be valuable and/or sentimental.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Thank you. Don't they check your purse? That's how I lost the scissors.

yes, they do scan and can possibly check your purse, but i have not had any problems with pins/brooches.....ever. if you are worried about it or if it is too valuable, then it is probably just best to leave it at home. i have never heard of the TSA mailing items back to you.

TSA wants to clear up a few misunderstandings.

First, the agency does not “confiscate” banned goods; the passenger “surrenders” them. Second, giving up the goods isn’t the only option. For instance, you can return to the airline’s ticketing counter and check them, run them back to your car, or hand them off to a friend who is not traveling. Some airports also have a mail service so that you can be reunited with your belongings at home. When the passenger doesn’t have the time or willpower to do any of the above, however, the only choice is to relinquish the itema non grata.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/the-weird-afterlife-of-banned-tsa-items/2015/01/22/1...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thank you. I sent an email.

One has sentimental value. I remember my mother gave me the scissor at the last minute and I threw it in my purse. It was very small and couldn't cut. I was going to have it made into a piece worn on a chin. I swear the woman checking me wanted it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a new person apparently who was being trained.  She took my tiny scissors as well.  But she offered to fill out a form and for a fee it would be returned (mailed) to me.  The fee was about $10 and it was BWI (Baltimore) airport.  I just let her take it.  It was from a cheap manicure set and I was taking it along without thinking.

I do check my bags however except one small tote.  In the tote I take id, a camera and anything I need near me just in case something happens to my bags.  I fly SW so there is never a fee.  

I am careful about what I wear.  I even "don't wear a bra with wire."  My heavily studded western belts I put in my checked bag.  I am careful not to wear decorated tops with snaps,etc.  I travel WESTERN for our square dance conventions.  

I do think the rules are applied airport to airport.  I have TSA PRE and I sail through.  Hubby is always stopped (medical part) no matter what kind of clearance we have.  In Baltimore it was brutal, in Ft. Lauderdale a pleasure.  You got to know I did complain. Why pay all that for a TSA PRE and be hassled.