Respected Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Recommend Sunglasses That Totally Block Out The Sun?

I also have a pair of Maui Jim's sunglasses and I think the difference is that they're polarized, which means they cut glare. Many fishermen and skiiers like polarized sunglasses because they cut out glare from water and snow.  Maybe something like that might help you.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I have a pair of  sunglasses that fit over your glasses, but in the real strong sun they don't work well that sun is blazing in your eyes and  you can't see a thing.Any recommendations for a real good pair that works  well?  TIA

@cuddlesmama

If you're looking for something that blocks out 100% of the sun .... what you really want is a blindfold.   lol  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I wear Oakley after choosing them at a small ski shop.  Bright sunlight was on a car's bumper outside of the door and I tried glasses until there was no glare at all.  I"ve had them 25 years.  The nose and ear pieces are refillablable and they don't leave a mark on my face.  I can even wear them in rain when sun creates a glare.

Image result for oakley sunglasses

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own RayBan sunglasses that I have had for at least 10 years now.  They cut the glare and I could never go back to regular sunglasses.  They may offer the non glare glasses that fit over your glasses.    Remember you pay a little more for this feature but it's worth every pennyCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I swear by my Blublocker's.  They are not the most attractive but they sure do work like nothing I've ever had before.  Highly recommend.  I've had them for years.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The ones you get free after an eye exam are the darkest I've ever had.   I save them in the car. 

I have eye exams for years and never got a pair of free sunglasses. Where do you get your eye exams?

@cuddlesmama  At a local clinic of several doctors.   These glasses are thin plastic that are rolled up.   You unroll them and place behind your normal glasses.   They're very dark for after your eyes have been dilated. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I am very light sensitive and my concussion doctor made an appointment for me with an ophthamologist who specializes in serious eye problems.  He is a regular eye doctor but handles difficult cases.  Anyway, he uses a prototype eye glass with slots for different kinds of lenses and then has different lights to see what your vision is with the lenses.  For example, my reading glasses have a medium blue tint that helps to reduce light.  I also have very dark sunglasses because even headlights when driving at night are difficult for me.

If your regular eye doctor does not do this, try to find one who does.  I don't know if there are any OTC sunglasses that will do what you need.

I have optic neuritis from MS and I have to wear a prism lens and if you recall your 8th grade science, you know what the prism does to sunlight.  Prism bends light and moves the image onto a specific part of the retina.

New Contributor

There are many sunglasses available in the market today which promises to offer absolute ultra violet protection but in reality these glasses are coated with a cheaper chemica. Therefore, it is always a better idea to pay that extra amount for your polarized sunglasses as they offer 99 to 100% protection from UVB and UVA rays. Moreover if you desire not to compromise on the quality of sunglasses you can check over here for some wonderful polarized sunglasses.

Valued Contributor

Definitely Maui Jims!!! I'm very sensitive to the sunlight and they are the best!! Like others have said- they are polarized, I think that's makes all the difference!!! They are on the more expensive side ( mine are prescription sunglasses) but definitely worth every penny!!!
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I have a pair of Maui Jim glasses with bronze lenses that I wear when I have my contact lenses in. They've worked great, even sitting on a white sand beach in blazing sunlight. No glare at all. I also have prescription sunglasses with bronze lenses that I wear when I'm not wearing my contacts. They work well, but not as great as my Maui Jim glasses. 

NOTHING I have found works as well as Maui Jims.  I have worn them for 20 years!  I get the gray lenses as dark as they make and they keep me from having migraines.  I also wear them when driving in rainy weather because they cut through the road spray.  I have prescription lenses in them.  They cost an arm and a leg but they are WELL worth it--a great investment!