Valued Contributor
I've never had a caftan before and I saw the Stan Herman caftan presented tonight. My question is are caftans meant to be worn at home or do you wear them out and about like a maxi dress?
Honored Contributor

Re: Caftan Question....

[ Edited ]

I always thought they were meant for lounging at home.  Every time I see one all that comes to mind is Mrs. Roper on Three's Company.

37C4AD27-42D3-4D39-AA16-605836F549F7.png

Valued Contributor
Oh wow, I forgot all about Mrs Roper!! Yup, question answered!! 😆
Honored Contributor

Where and for what they're wore depends a lot on the fabric.  The ones Stan Herman sells definitely look like home loungewear/housecoat/nightgown.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

That particular caftan is so soft and beautiful. I have one. I would wear this out to dinner, on the beach, out to a cookout or just in my house. I bought mine for the beach but i think you could pull this one off just about any place. I am going for a new color this years.

junker2327

Honored Contributor

@spursfan2   Excellent question. 

I own 3.  All African/Arab print style.  One I wear around the house & walk the dog in.  That caftan is cotton material.  Purchased in the USofA.

The other 2 I can lounge around the house or wear outside of the house to run-a-round in as well as to restaurants.  The material on these 2 are satin.  I can dress them up or down.  Both have very high side slits.  Sometimes I wear leggings under them.  Depends on where I am going.  Purchased in Dubai.

I get complements on all three everytime I wear them.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

If you're comfortable wearing a caftan out, go for it and enjoy yourself.

Honored Contributor

I prefer kimonos....shorter, open front, and PERFECT for wearing inside OVER AIR CONDITIONED buildings around here.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I think it depends.   I have a Stan Herman one and I wear at home but I like that I can go out on my deck or in the yard or go to the neighbors and be comfortable.  Mine is not really for going out and about in more than that.  Just not my style.  It just has that lounge  vibe.  Looser than a maxi.

I just recently purchased a midi to maxi length dress from Denim and Company that I plan on wearing out.  Looks more like a dress but very comfy.  No as drapey as a caftan.  

I saw an older  lady at an event I went to that was held outdoors in a caftan and big summer hat and she looked nice.  She said to me I like being comfy.  

Depends and whatever you are comfortable in.

Respected Contributor

I think of a caftan as a robe for wearing inside. I would not wear out as a maxi dress. There are lots of maxi dresses you can buy to wear out.

Maxi dresses on QVC

https://www.qvc.com/fashion/dresses-and-skirts/dresses/maxi/_/N-13jtxZ1z138si/c.html