Respected Contributor

Re: COWL NECKS VS. TURTLE NECKS

I prefer turtlenecks, but I also like cowl necks.

There's nothing like a turtleneck to keep me warm in the windy, cold winter weather!

Valued Contributor

I can’t stand either! Cowlnecks are too much fabric that I have to fuss with and t-necks make me feel claustrophobic.
Honored Contributor

I used to have turtle necks in about every color but now I can't stand to wear them as I feel like I am choking!  I only wear the mock turtle neck.  Cowl necks are o.k. as long as they are not too big and voluminous.  I can't stand anything really tight or snug around my neck.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Don't like either one.  But QVC is suddenly very big on this.  So I just skp them.  

Honored Contributor

I definitely prefer turtlenecks. Love the classic look of one with jeans, boots, and a leather jacket in cold weather. Unfortunately, I don't wear them as much as I used to because of hot flashes.

I don't like cowl necks. I don't like the loose & floppy material around my neck. I had one once, and I was constantly adjusting and fidgeting with it.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I love high necklines and wear both turtleneck and cowel plus mock neck. I'm blessed if I find a top with a nehru or mandarin collar.

On outerwear I look for stand up collars. I wear neck gaiters daily throughout winter.

Found this on "Ask a Stylist"/Stitchfix website.

A classic turtleneck has a more fitted neckline and hits one to two inches below the chin.  

. . .

Wear a turtleneck if you have:

1. A long neck
  2. A long face
  3. A short torso
  4. Narrow shoulders

The looser cowl neck sweater has a funnel neck and drapes to show off your neckline. 

. . .

Wear a cowl neck if you have:

1. A long neck
  2. Small or large bust
  3. A larger head in comparison to your upper body
  4. A larger bottom half

@x Hedge 

Well, I don't fit the turtleneck "rules", but I still like the way they look on me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

nm

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Neither.  Nor do I like mock necks or crew necks.  I prefer V neck tops.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

I like a scrunched neck.  Like a mock neck but a little softer.  Can't find too many, but I have a few and really like them.

Honored Contributor

i have not been able to wear turtlenecks or mocknecks for years.....too hot, too constricting, and i feel like i am choking. gave away all turtlenecks once that began.

i love a good cowl neck or any other open neck top.....i feel more free. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein