Honored Contributor

I would also like to say - someone who does not have a redhead's complexion but who dyes their hair red - it just looks wrong.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay  I agree. I'm a people watcher & always think to myself how much better some women could look w/ a different color outfit or a change of haircolor & makeup. As I've gotten older, when I feel black near my face looks harsh (extra pale that day), I switch up to a navy sweater or top. The same affect, but not as drastic. I do wear navy and black together....navy sweater w/ black slacks....I figure it's no different than my "go to" outfit of a black sweater w/ dark wash (navy) jeans. 

Honored Contributor

Personal preference - I dislike the look of navy & black together. I know for years it was a fashion faux pas then more recently it became acceptable, but it is just not my taste. When I wear navy I always wear brown shoes or navy ones. We are going out tonight and it will involve a lot of walking so I have to wear walking shoes. My choices are white or black so I'll wear the black ones with my Navy outfit but I know it will bug me to do so.

Honored Contributor

@151949  The navy with black clothes thing is definitely personal taste, but I always wear black shoes w/ navy....not buying navy shoes (flats, boots and heels) for the different outfits and then which bag? Black or navy?

Contributor

I had my colors done and I still think it holds true to this day.  I can wear pink, but not the new antique rose that is so popular with D&C. I can wear white, but not cream and gray washes me out.  I agree with the other people that mentioned it has to do with the undertones of your skin. I knew when I had my colors done that they said to stay away from the dusty rose colors, but still had to order a top from D&C in new antique rose because it's such a pretty color.  Of course I had to send it back as it did nothing for me. 

Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

I think there are two different issues.

"Color Me Beautiful" is a great guide for understanding what colors and tones best suit a person's coloring.  

But as someone ages, their coloring changes.  What once looked good, can start to look harsh.  This includes makeup which most people need to soften as they age.

@DCAnnie2004You're right to a point.  Once you are a winter, however, you are always a winter. The base of your skin can't go from blue based to yellow based.

As "she" ages, she may wear less black and chose less dark colors in her palette.

Honored Contributor

I was one of the first to be color coded where I live because I noticed how colors affected my face when I was in high school.  Because I am one of the lightest olive complections, I was used as the example at the top salon here for workshops.

Having taught Interior Design, I ordered a kit and color coded all of those students.  It's very easy to make expensive mistakes when furnishing a home.  Once you know your colors, you won't get overwhelmed by seasonal prints that you'll be sorry about in six months and can't change.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Sorry to say, but when we all had our colors figured out by seasons, it really doesn't work. Why? It was based on haircolor and how many of us have the same haircolor we did in the 80's when this season coding was popular? That many decades ago, even though I was still quite fair, w/ green eyes and very dark brown hair, I was a winter. Flash ahead to when I dyed my hair a dark auburn. Could I then wear the same vibrant, clear, jewel tones? No. My hair changed me to another category who looked better in softer shades, muddier shades of greens or khaki which no way could I wear with my dark hair & high contrast coloring. More recently, with light blonde highlights, lighter base color and letting my white hair grow in & blend, now I feel that I look better in neutrals w/ pops of pink, wedgewood blue, etc. With my almost black hair, silver jewelry looked better, now w/ all the blonde highlights, gold or two-tone jewelry looks better.

The only color that really matters and could throw off everything is white or off-white near your face. Hold a piece of white cloth next to your face. Does your complexion come alive, look rested? Now try off-white. Does it dull your skin? Look sallow? Your complexion is the key...the only thing that never changes! 

@Shanus,If you were correctly color coded, your hair amd eyes only help to identify the colors in your complection if it isn't obvious.

When you colored your hair, if the color wasn't in your palette, the hair color would have complemented your clothing, yet thrown dark shadows on your face; which was "out of balance".

The only way to see this is to be on your deck in full sunlight with a mirror. Fluorescent lights cast green light so they naturally throw shadows.

Blonde hair looks good with black.  If we take a natural blonde and dye her hair black, her features will be lost and there will be shadows under her eyes and around her mouth.

If you are interested, the book is very interesting and still available.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

While I am still a Winter, there are colors that I can no longer wear: rust, some blues and some greens.  " Muddy" reds are a no-no.  

In a store, if I try on cobalt blue, hunter green or a clear red, other shoppers will comment on how great the color is on me.  Interesting shift in my closet....certain shades of colors I loved are now donated.  While I still am drawn to rusts, mint and turquoisy blues, I no longer buy them to just give them away !

i never bought into the Colors concept that anyone can wear any color by changing makeup shade.

@jlkzI too am a winter. Rust and tomato and "muddy" reds are autumn (red heads) colors.  I have seen some beautiful scarves with eggshell backgrounds with rust, teracotta, and turquoise.  Can't wear them!  That doesn't keep me from liking the way the designer put them together.  I used to love the Etienne Agner shoes and bags, but they didn't look good with what I wore!

Mint is a tint of true green, therefore, we can wear that unless they have added yellow to the dye.

Cobolt is beautiful!  It is known as the "universal color" and goes well with every complection. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Sorry to disagree. When my hair went white (not grey) it changed the "contrast" of my dark hair and fair skin...whether yellow or pink or blue undertones. My naturally almost black haircolor never looked natural w/ fair skin & I fought that all my life...makeup w/ any bright color other than pale pink/nudes made me look like a clown. The white hair means it has lost all its melonin and to compensate, your skin naturally loses melonin as well. White hair w/ even paler skin was a ghostly look for me, so I began to dye it. Now I can do a little brighter lip and blush on same fair skin, but hair is lighter. My hairdresser was careful to stay within cool/neutral tones w/ highlights.  No dark shadows are cast on my face in any light. As my haircolor changed, so did my "winter" category. Winter was assigned when my hair was dark against fair skin & I could wear bright colors. Being naturally all white since about 30 & now blending it w/ cool/neutral blonde/brown highlights cut down that high contrast...bright colors now over power me. It doesn't matter what my skin tone is...same or more fair. I can now wear shades of colors I could not before & new colors I would never attempt to wear are now flattering.