Honored Contributor

CAN YOU RECOMMEND A GOOD CLOTHING STEAMER?

I rarely have to iron anything, but occasionally something needs a few wrinkles taken out.   I thought I would look for a good steamer .... but have no idea what the variables are, etc etc.

If you have or have owned one, can you tell us what you did or didn't like about it?   Any feedback or recommendations would be very much appreciated!

TIA!

Mask   Mask   Mask

Trusted Contributor

Re: CAN YOU RECOMMEND A GOOD CLOTHING STEAMER?

I do like my Rowenta steamer

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

I do like my Rowenta steamer

I might look into one of them.  Right now I have a cheap one from HSN (Joy M) which stops steaming before I finish one top!  It has to cool down for a few minutes and I can barely get 5 minutes of steam before it does that...otherwise steamers are great...better than ironing.

Honored Contributor

I bought a floor stand model and promptly burned my fingers!  I tryed to use it several times and gave up.  Those that use them love them.

If you get a hand held, remember water makes it much heavier.  

I prefer to use an iron for touchups, especially white slacks which, I could never steam the wrinkles out, and the iron board is also nice to fold clothes on.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 -

I had one once.

I think I got it rather inexpensively from Walmart and I liked using it for curtains and for a dress and blouse I think that was silk or rayon. So it was nice for that.

I had to make sure it didn't drip water onto the clothes which it tended to do and it was not too heavy, more of a lightweight one which I think is important. Otherwise your arm gets very tired.

Now, I don't have curtains or anything extra delicate so I would rather get out the iron or not have anything that needs ironing at all!

Steamers are nice for quick touch ups but also involve distilled water, filling it, emptying it and yes they don't last a long time in between fillings. And you have to let them heat up. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

i love my steamer. i got a stand up rowenta from Q probably 10 years ago. its a tie in product with project runway.  

works great.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 My Joy Mangano one works great!  I love it, I never realized how much easier steaming is than ironing, there was no turning back for me.  As others have stated though I am sure a Rowentaor any brand name  is pretty decent too.

Esteemed Contributor

Rowenta is the best!!!! I even do the drapes with the one I have. If you want a "good" one then that's the brand I recommned. Now, if you want a steamer for only occasional use then the "My Little Steamer" on HSN is a good buy. That was the one I had first. It's good for touch ups or if you need an extra steamer in the bedroom to get those odd wrinkles out of clothing as you are getting dressed for work. 

Respected Contributor

I have a Jiffy steamer I got years ago from Amazon. It's the type with the wheeled base/tank and the metal pole and the hose/steamer head.  It's the greatest purchase I've ever made in my life!  Not only good for clothes but also for uphosterly.  The handheld units like Joy Mangano are only suitable for travel IMO.  It's very easy to tip them over and spill boiling water on your clothes and yourself.  

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine ironing clothes anymore .... and am looking for steamers now ... good recommendations.