Honored Contributor

I've purchased several pieces of C. Wonder clothing since a lot of it has been on clearance, including a sleeveless blouse I am wearing today.

I've liked the garments but have hated the cheap-looking, too-bright-yellow-goldtone buttons.  On each garment, I have replaced the buttons and the garment looks so much better with the buttons I've chosen.  I usually buy them when Hobby Lobby has its 50% off Sewology notions sale going on.  I really like Sewology buttons. 

But what's up with those C. Wonder ugly buttons they've put on otherwise nice clothing?   I don't mind so much having to add in the cost of purchasing new buttons, since as I say, I've purchased the clothes at clearance prices.  But if I'd paid full price I wouldn't have wanted to then go to the trouble and expense of replacing the buttons on each of the garments.

Honored Contributor

@Pearleebuttons do make a difference.  that's why I have a button collection that goes all the way back to the 1960's!   Some people have huge bottles of loose change -  I have my buttons.  Some came from my own clothes, some came from my mother's house, and some I picked up at yardsales!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I agree they can make a huge difference.   I'm envious of your collection; I just love buttons and think they can really improve the look of a garment.

I once went to a vintage button show.  I went a little crazy at that show!  There were some really fantastic buttons, including many from couture designers all the way back from the 40s to current.  I bought a few that had been on Chanel suits and from some other designers' clothing (can't recall just who right now).  

Honored Contributor

@PearleeSome years ago I fell in love with a St. John's sweater.  I swear it was the very interesting button at the neckline.  I think I tried it on 3 times before I persuaded myself to walk away - although I admit to watching to see if it ever showed up on sale.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  At the show I went to, among the things I bought were four of the hugest mother of pearl buttons I've ever seen.  I mean huge, not fit (pardon the pun) for button holes!   I sewed them onto the cowl of a cowlneck sweater for decoration.   Since I don't wear that sweater much any more (I wore it so much I got tired of it), I'm thinking of transferring those buttons to decorate something else.   Buttons just have so many uses other than being buttons in the traditional sense. 

Honored Contributor

@PearleeDo it!   Last spring I bought a really interesting top at one of my favorite Florida stores.  It's a slip-over-the-head top I wear over a tank and it has sort of 2 layers in the front.  That top layer is shorter and angled and there are 4 large, interesting buttons along that angle.  Their only function is decorative!   One neat thing about buttons, I think, is that we can use them again and again!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee

I've picked up several of the tops over the past few months on clearance.

The buttons are one of the things I like about the C Wonder tops!  In fact, almost everytime I wear one, someone will comment on the attractive buttons.

Different strokes for different folks!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@millieshops  At the show I went to, among the things I bought were four of the hugest mother of pearl buttons I've ever seen.  I mean huge, not fit (pardon the pun) for button holes!   I sewed them onto the cowl of a cowlneck sweater for decoration.   Since I don't wear that sweater much any more (I wore it so much I got tired of it), I'm thinking of transferring those buttons to decorate something else.   Buttons just have so many uses other than being buttons in the traditional sense. 

@Pearlee  I love buttons, as well. I’ve taken mother of pearl buttons, set a colored stone in each of the 4 holes, attached a post & clutch to the back....Beautiful earrings for almost nothing...unless you want to use real stones. 😜

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Pearlee

The buttons are one of the things I like about the C Wonder tops!  In fact, almost everytime I wear one, someone will comment on the attractive buttons.

Different strokes for different folks!

@ALRATIBA  Crazy me. I’ve purchased clothing at Thrift Shops just to cut off the fabulous buttons to use on something else. $5 for a coat, but the buttons worth a million!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Pearlee

Different strokes for different folks!@

@ALRATIBA  Crazy me. I’ve purchased clothing at Thrift Shops just to cut off the fabulous buttons to use on something else. $5 for a coat, but the buttons worth a million!!!

@Shanus

Me too!  Everytime I see button "grab bags" for sale, I buy a few.  I have metal cookie tins full of buttons.  

Plus - one of the world's best button and trimming stores is M&J Trimmng - not very far from me (www dot mjtrim dot com).  I bring my hand-made pieces with me to match buttons.  Great sales people.

Lots of places around to find good buttons.