Honored Contributor

Buying summer clothes at this time

I received a new Talbots catalog last night and started looking through it this morning.  I found a few cute tops so far.  But....

It's essentially August (by the time I order and receive them).  It's still hotter than heck, but Fall is coming.

Where I live, Atlanta, we can wear summer clothes sometimes into mid-November.

At what point do you say ok, so enough of the buying of summer clothes because we will be out of the season soon or soon-ish?  Or do you keep buying if you find something you really like?

Usually at this point in the summer, I stop buying summer clothes.  Same for winter clothes long around mid-February. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Buying summer clothes at this time

@gidgetgh   We can wear summer weight clothing until Oct. in NC. I do try to darken the colors to look more like fall.

On Q the BD and other sweaters are already being shown at the same time sleeveless tanks are offered.  I guess if you need more summer clothing, you can stock up for next year, but I don't tend to be tempted by clearance prices if I don't need anything.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We can wear summer clothes until November and start again in March so I would buy if it was a good deal. 

Esteemed Contributor

Unless I see a summer item I really love at a great price, I'm done now. I have summer clothes I haven't even worn this season. I have way too many clothes. But, I just might purchase a transitional item, again only if I truly love it and can wear it through September/October here in the northeast. I'm sure it depends on what part of the country you live.
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't ordered a single, solitary piece of summer clothing in almost  three years ... prepandemic.   I have plenty of tees, cotton pants, shirts and jean jackets,  which is what I generally wear, anyway.  Besides, I hate summer ...  clothing, included.

Now ... fall and winter wear ... that's a different story.  Don't ask me about the subject of clothing purchased so far.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I buy an item any time regardless of season if I like it and the price is right.  I can get good clearance prices at the end of season sales.

If I don't wear it now it's fine.  Will wear it next year.

Honored Contributor

This is when I stock up on clothes for next summer.  

I don't follow trends and will only wear certain styles and colors.  When that stuff is marked down .... I buy it and put it away until next year.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll only buy now for summer if I see something at a clearance price that I just can't pass up.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh   I live in a four season climate, although usually DC winters are much milder than southern coastal Connnecticut is, which is fine by me since the cold and snow and ice  of winter is my least favorite season. 

The heat wave around here doesn't bother me at all.  Even the humidity isn't irksome.And in Connecticut I didn't have air conditioning.

I often have purchased my winter coats and blazers when the retailers are doing final clearance in the February/MarchApril time frame.  For spring and summer I shop the final clearance during July/August/Seeptember.

I typically buy more fall/winter items than spring/summer ones.

I always look for the best price and unless I find an article of clothing or an accessory that I just HAVE to have I rarely pay full price.  My style preference is a classic tailored style (think Ralph Lauren or preppy) with some softer, flowy silhouettes found on sites such as Soft Surroundings.

The supply chain issues related to the pandemic are ongoing and have changed what is available and when. 

Some items I purchased online from Lands End (gloves and a belt) and Soft Surroundings (blouse) and Bannana Republic (trousers) that I ordered last winter or this spring during major clearance events the companies immediately informed me that the items would not ship right away and furnished estimated delivery dates, which were met, or which shipped earlier than expected.

I am fortunate that my weight and size has stayed consistent throughout my adult years so it is easier for me to order online than it might be for many others.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

If I see the perfect top -- color and style -- I will buy it.  Tops and earrings are my shopping weakness. 😏