Honored Contributor

Buying a duplicate item for a backup

Anyone ever buy an exact duplicate of an item as a backup?

I bought a J Jill top a few months ago. I liked it well enough and thought it looked ok so I bought it at one of their stores. 

It took me till today to wear it for the first time. I don't know why. The second I put it on I loved it. I met a few friends this morning and they complimented me on it. I came home and ordered a backup online, in case something happens to this one. 

I've done this a few times over the years. It's been mostly with shoes though. Anyone else?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: Buying a duplicate item for a backup

@gidgetgh

No but my husband does.  He buys multiples of everything he finds that look good on him and fit him well.  The problem is, his weight yo-yo's so oftentimes, he has to get rid of multiples of some items instead of just one!

Honored Contributor

Yes I've done that AND have bought several of the same item in different colors.  I never used to but it's so rare for me to find something that is well made, looks good on me that I love and is available because I'll find something and in a month never see it again..... (not just QVC, but I just bought 3 C wonder blouses!).

That's for clothing but I've done the back up thing with an appliance I absolutely love. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

I own three pairs of this Easy Spirit Riptide paisley sneaker.  I normally buy duplicates of an item in different color, but these are identical.  I keep one pair in my classroom wardrobe at school, so I can change shoes on the days where we have unannounced drills, when I walk too much around the building and get blisters, or when it rains.  One pair is in the basement, for when I do exercise on my trampoline outside or when I take out trash/recycling.  The other pair lives upstairs in my shoe bench, so I can access them easily when I head out the door in a hurry.

Honored Contributor

I do sometimes, but usually shoes.  If I really love the look and it's super comfortable, I buy a spare.

Respected Contributor

Because it is so difficult to find comfortable shoes, I will buy duplicates when I have a shoe that fits well.  There have been two Clark shoes that I love Timeless and Rosa Pine that were perfect and now discontinued.  I am now wearing my duplicate.

Trusted Contributor

Yes I do, mostly because I'm a bit of a hard fit when it comes to clothing, particularly pants and shoes, so when I find something that fits and looks decent, I buy in multiples.  Once in a while I find a favorite top I'll do that with.  For instance, I own Susan Graver top A239300 and love it.  I own it in the original paisley prints and the currently available prints.  I own extras of my favorites so that I won't "run out", lol.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do.

I will either buy it in a different color or the same color. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  Yes I have.  More than one time (but not more than one backup)..   

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@gidgetgh

I own three pairs of this Easy Spirit Riptide paisley sneaker.  I normally buy duplicates of an item in different color, but these are identical.  I keep one pair in my classroom wardrobe at school, so I can change shoes on the days where we have unannounced drills, when I walk too much around the building and get blisters, or when it rains.  One pair is in the basement, for when I do exercise on my trampoline outside or when I take out trash/recycling.  The other pair lives upstairs in my shoe bench, so I can access them easily when I head out the door in a hurry.

Must be a great shoe, @lolakimono. Love Easy Spirit, and I have a couple pair of the same shoe from them.

With such great recommendation, I might give them a try. Can you tell me if they run true to size and width? Thanks. Smiley Happy