Super Contributor

Post-retirement ... I'm spending the same amount of money - but on different things.

Respected Contributor

I finally retired, so lifestyle change is definitely a factor. BUT . .. If I hadn't had a lifestyle change, I would be buying less these days anyway. I rather enjoy seeing my $$ grow instead of shrinking over a couple of clothing items I might wear once or twice. My wants have been successfully separated from my needs.

I enjoy clothes and have quite a few things, but honestly don't need anything more and haven't bought much in months. I have way too many tees and lots of shorts and slacks. That's about all I wear these days unless there's something special going on. Or for church. That's about it for my current lifestyle.

Respected Contributor
On 1/29/2014 StylishLady said:

Buying less for sure. My wardrobe is full and since I typically dress up only on Sundays, things are not likely to get worn out. Ive avoided trendy stuff that gets outdated quickly so my clothes are pretty much timeless for me.

Exactly the same situation for me. I have church clothes and everyday clothes.

Respected Contributor

Definitely buying less, due to my personal economy changing and growing older and wiser. Many years ago I decided to stop using credit cards and buying only things that I have cash on hand for definitely has diminished my purchases.

Regular Contributor
My priorities have changed. I don't need to have new clothes all the time. No one really pays attention, anyway. It's actually easier to manage a smaller wardrobe and it's helped me learn to put more outfits together. Maddycat - this is so true -- "No really really pays attention." "Easy to manage a smaller wardrobe."
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I am spending less -- because I'm no longer working and need less clothing and because I have so many nice clothes already and am trying to use what I have. I'm also "shopping my closet"; it really is fun and creative to find new ways to wear and put together pieces and accessories already in my wardrobe. Kinda sad and kinda neat to dig in my drawers and closets and find neglected/forgotten items and put them back to work. I've also discovered the joy of thrift store shopping, so when I do want something fresh and new in my wardrobe, I can usually find something really nice for just a few dollars. Lots of fun, not much $$.

Respected Contributor

Not necessarily spending less, but definitely more picky about what I buy. I'm reducing all these small items I own. Clutter, whether it's in my closet or surrounding me in the rest of the house, drives me crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

Being retired I spend less on clothes. I have plenty in my closet already, and right now since it has been so bitter cold for a couple of weeks, I began to declutter our home. I don't like clutter to begin with. I am amazed at what I had put away in drawers and haven't used for years. It has been fun to get rid of those unnecessary things I once enjoyed.

Momcat, I am with you because clutter drives me crazy. I guess when I worked full time, I didn't have to sit and look at it so much, but being retired I look at it all the time.

I now prefer to look at nice clean neat rooms again.

Trusted Contributor

I love buying clothes and that is my passion. I love style so it is hard for me to resist buying. But around this time, I stop buying winter clothes and look forward to spring, however, that is a short season. I just purchased several items last weekend and that is about it now for the winter clothes. I want to try to buy less and weed out my closet. I constantly donate clothes and have to because of the space problem.

Miata 1

Super Contributor

I am definitely buying less. I bought last year out of necessity, as I had shrunk out of my clothes, but I bought more than I had intended to, so this year ... no clothes shopping for me! Unless it's a necessity.

My one exception may be that fabulous MICHAEL Michael Kors spring green topper. I don't have any spring toppers left, as I have shrunk out of the ones I used to wear. I really miss the navy/white (A200240) dotted topper, and would pick that one up in a heartbeat if/when I ever find it again.