Esteemed Contributor

I never knew a tankini had a swim dress bottom either.  I don't wear tankini's or two pieces.  It's usually a one piece or a swim dress (one piece for me) @songbird .  I've seen two pieces with tank tops and bottoms and they are usually sold separately.  Sometimes the tops don't give full coverage and sometimes they do.  Some have bikini bottoms and some have brief type bottoms.  I never buy them because of the separate pricing issue.

Something like this:

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I never knew a tankini had a swim dress bottom either.  I don't wear tankini's or two pieces.  It's usually a one piece or a swim dress (one piece for me) @songbird .  I've seen two pieces with tank tops and bottoms and they are usually sold separately.  Sometimes the tops don't give full coverage and sometimes they do.  Some have bikini bottoms and some have brief type bottoms.  I never buy them because of the separate pricing issue.

Something like this:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Something like this:

My tankini (a tank & a bikini equels....a tankini!)  That was how they were originally created anyway.  Since then, they've added the skirt, shorts, what have you. Yes that's my swimsuit.  A tank and a bikini.  And they are skimpy.  You do show skin.   I still wear bikinis too.  So I have 1 bikini and 2 tankinis.  I haven't worn any swimsuit in now 2020 & this year because of covid. So it's been over 2 years since I went to the beach to swim.  I've not been in  a pool either.  It's in the 90's here and hot and cooking.  I don't need to buy my tankini separately.  My top and bottom are the same size.  I just get the dress size and I never buy any bathing suit online.  I just get it at the store (to try on) that and shoes. I usually buy at Everything But Water.  The best swimsuits (and every style) is from Israel.  Many of the suits are made there. Several  of the best brands are Gottex, Naya and Biliblond. and you can get them in the U.S. 

Honored Contributor

israeli swimsuits:

Biliblond

black swimsuit

Naya

kai one piece dreamy swimsuit

Gottex

Gottex Star Leopard Surplice One Piece Swimsuit

Esteemed Contributor

Nice swimsuits.  One pieces for me.  Always, even when I was a much thinner, fly girl!  LOL.

These GIFs Prove JLo Has Been Fly As Hell Since Her 'In ...

Not!

Respected Contributor

I get most of my bathing suits online. I like trying them on at home instead of in a fitting room in a store. I prefer one piece suits, but have a few tankinis. I have a variety of bottoms for them - bikini, boy shorts, and a skirted bottom. 

Lands End has great suits, but they can be expensive if you don't get them on sale. They offer a good selection of styles in misses and plus sizes. They guarantee all of their merchandise forever, so you can return a suit if a problem develops after you've worn it for awhile. I've returned a couple of suits that got worn out after a couple of seasons and exchanged them for new ones with no problems. 

Amazon has a good selection of bathing suits at reasonable prices. Many of them are included in Amazon's Prime Wardrobe program, where you can order items you like, try them on at home and return the ones that don't work out within 7 days of delivery. I recently bought a suit in 2 sizes through Prime Wardrobe because I wasn't sure what size to get. I tried them both on, decided which one I wanted and returned the other one. I'll usually buy an inexpensive suit from Amazon to wear in hot tubs where the chlorine level is higher than in a pool. If the color fades after a few uses, it's okay because I probably spent less than $50 on it. 

I've got a few MiracleSuits. I like them, but sizing can be a challenge, as they've got a "super compression" line that's pretty tight. MiracleSuit used to make a line for Costco under their Kirkland label. These suits were dead ringers for the MiracleSuit suits ata fraction of the price. I bought a few at a Costco outlet and they're still going strong. 

As with any item of clothing tha you buy online, make sure you know your measurements and compare them against the size chart for any suit you're considering. As a rule of thumb, I usually size up or buy 2 of the same suit and keep the one that fits better. 

Valued Contributor

I ordered one this year online.  Followed the sizing chart as directed and the fit was accurate.  Listen to reviewers online and if it says true to size.  

Esteemed Contributor

Also consider its use, lap swims are different than walking on the beach.  

One virtue of a two piece is that you can get the cup/bra size needed.  One cup does not fit all.

Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Also consider its use, lap swims are different than walking on the beach.  

One virtue of a two piece is that you can get the cup/bra size needed.  One cup does not fit all.

Have fun!

Miracle Suit brands let you buy per your individual cup size.  They aren't one sized fits all.  This brand is much more personalized in that regard than others @Still Raining . The only drawback with Miracle Suit is they are costly.  They are worth it though.  They are made with underwire bras in them.    Yet another brand that offers the same bra sizing for your own cup size is Coco Reef. 

It pays to peruse the web, for ideas. 

Honored Contributor

I saw some cute swimsuits on a website but they are unlined. I'm guessing you would want a lined swimsuit, it offers some modesty. I have to wonder why make swimsuits unlined, does it make a huge difference, should I not purchase one ( I don't want anything showing that shouldn't)?