Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breasts not "boobs" or even worse, "girls"

I usually don't pay much attention to what they call body parts, but the term "girls" for breasts annoys me. It sounds a bit childish, like the person is too uptight to use the proper term. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I prefer for them to be called what they are in an adult language and that is breasts. Especially when someone is on tv speaking about them in what should be a professional manner.

I personally find the word girls to be extremely juvenile and I also really dislike them being called ta tas.  Again, just seems silly and juvenile.

Obviously, people joke around and say all kinds of things in casual conversations.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Breasts.  Or when referring to the general area décolleté.  

I have been known to say "girls" on ocassion.  This is particularly true when posting here. When I do it is done jokingly and I'm not taking myself so serious.  Otherwise, breast[s] is the proper term.

Thing is, we can't walk around using the proper term for the rest of our private parts sooooo, this is not that big of a deal to me.  

Of course we can!

I do, @mom2four0418. I ever so slightly cringe at the substitutes for body parts.

Oh, I don't think we can refer to the V area on air and call it it's rightful name.  No one does that and you know it @suzyQ3 .  Women will find something different like V-Jay or some other word.  No one runs around calling that area on a broadcast show the anatomical term for men or women.  Give it a break.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

For some really weird reason ... this topic has inspired me to quote Shakespeare!  

From Romeo & Juliet ....

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I have been known to say "girls" on ocassion.  This is particularly true when posting here. When I do it is done jokingly and I'm not taking myself so serious.  Otherwise, breast[s] is the proper term.

Thing is, we can't walk around using the proper term for the rest of our private parts sooooo, this is not that big of a deal to me.  

Of course we can!

I do, @mom2four0418. I ever so slightly cringe at the substitutes for body parts.

Oh, I don't think we can refer to the V area on air and call it it's rightful name.  No one does that and you know it @suzyQ3 .  Women will find something different like V-Jay or some other word.  No one runs around calling that area on a broadcast show the anatomical term for men or women.  Give it a break.

@gertrudecloset, not upset you again, but I think that this thread goes beyond what might be said on QVC, which I don't watch anymore. But as a matter of fact, I have heard "******" and "******" said on TV.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Of course we can!

@gertrudecloset, not upset you again, but I think that this thread goes beyond what might be said on QVC, which I don't watch anymore. But as a matter of fact, I have heard "******" and "******" said on TV.

@suzyQ3 I've never heard it on a shopping channel.  Whether it be QVC or any other programming.  I remember a commercial where women referred to "it" as "you ha" when speaking about the nether regions.  

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Of course we can!

@suzyQ3 I've never heard it on a shopping channel.  Whether it be QVC or any other programming.  I remember a commercial where women referred to "it" as "you ha" when speaking about the nether regions.  

Well, @gertrudecloset, I said that I have heard on TV. And I have.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

I also don't care for the use of the word  "hiney" (however it's spelled).  Sounds like something a five year old would say.

I think calling breasts the girls sound very juvenile. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Of course we can!

Well, @gertrudecloset, I said that I have heard on TV. And I have.

@suzyQ3 I'm not even going to ask you what station.  It's not a common practice for shopping shows.  Maybe HBO.  But hey I'm happy for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

At least we know what they are. Better than not having them to talk about.

@SilleeMee 

On this we agree.  Some women don't have this worry any longer (unfortunately).  What does it matter anyway?  Nothing....it's just you must consider the environment you're in when you speak of intimate parts of the body.  Not that it's something wrong to call them what they truly are, it's a matter of tact and decorum.  However, look how so many get offensive over a dress with a leg slit, yet you had better say breasts doggone it.

Too funny!