Contributor
Has anyone ever gone for a bra fitting? I'm just curious if they measure while you have your bra on or not. Also, if you did, was there an improvement in the way your clothes look/fit? I have thought of doing it, but so far i just have not gotten around to scheduling an appointment.
Honored Contributor

I've had several and they all measured differently and came up with a different size and I saw no improvement from what I was wearing each time.

Honored Contributor

It is the best thing I ever did{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} The shop that I went to had what I would call a sizing bra.

They decided the measurements from the bra. I was wearing the wrong size and wrong cup size.

Yes, it makes a huge difference in your clothes.

Esteemed Contributor
I went to 3 dept stores last year on the same day (Macy's, Lord and Taylor and Nordstroms) and was measured by a "certified fitter" at all three stores. Got three different results. What a waste of time.
Honored Contributor

I agree with the waste of time comment.

Super Contributor

Had a fitting and ended up a terrible bra! Straps 2"" wide which interfered with the ability to raise my arms and it was so tight around my chest I couldn't stand wearing it. According to the ""expert"" fitter it was perfect and a steal for $60.

Last and only bra fitting. Now I buy my bras at Marshall's for $12.95 and the fit is perfect. And NOT the size recommended by the expert.

Super Contributor

I worked in a lingerie store for 1 year in college, and regularly performed bra fittings. We were trained to get the most accurate fit by measuring the customer naked (on top only, lol). But because so many women were bashful about this, I would most often have to measure around their bra or cami - which kind of defeated the purpose.

IMO - you will probably not be the same size in every bra due to different brands, country in which it was manufactured, material, padding, etc. You should always try on at least a couple different sizes before purchasing, and don't get too stuck on what "your size" is supposed to be.

Honored Contributor

I went to the "Lingerie Boutique" (name of the store in Springfield, Missouri) and they fit me in the perfect bra. These women have been doing this forever.

It may depend on where you go for the best results.

Honored Contributor

I have had wonderful bra fittings at Nordstrom. They do not measure you naked. She found three different bras that fit me beautifully and in all three I wore a different size. I pick up more at Nordstrom sales. Clothes look much better and the bras are comfortable.

Super Contributor
On 7/9/2014 DiAnne said:

I have had wonderful bra fittings at Nordstrom. They do not measure you naked. She found three different bras that fit me beautifully and in all three I wore a different size. I pick up more at Nordstrom sales. Clothes look much better and the bras are comfortable.

I wear a different size depending on the bra, also. I don't get caught up with what the tag says, only what feels comfortable and fits correctly.