Trusted Contributor

Boyfriend jeans - styling advice

I've recently purchased two pair of 'boyfriend jeans' on sale at Chicos. Not the real baggy ones, but Loved the way they fit me and the way they looked and felt. Although I have a couple of pair of what I would call 'skinny' jeans, they are more like slim fitting straight leg jeans. My weight is in my keister so decent fitting (and looking) jeans are hard to find.

However, I've been googling to try to find out how to style them so I don't look like an old lady trying to be younger. Most of what I saw for tops looked a bit too young for me (58) and I'm wondering what the trick is. My go to has been a variations on a plaid or striped button front shirt hanging out beneath a WK vee neck sweater, but I'm a little bored with the same look.

Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Boyfriend jeans - styling advice

I don't consider 58 as 'old'. Have to google 'boyfriend jeans' to see what style you are referring to.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

On 1/17/2015 JustJazzmom said:

I don't consider 58 as 'old'. Have to google 'boyfriend jeans' to see what style you are referring to.

Petite Platinum Railroad Stripe Boyfriend JeanThis is a "boyfriend jean" from the Chicos website. Sammijo, go to the Chicos website and it will show a top or two to wear with the jeans. Here's one:

Platinum Railroad Stripe Boyfriend Jean

Valued Contributor

Are you asking for Linea items specifically, Sammijo? I own JJill boyfriend jeans & wear them with just about anything I'd wear regular jeans with. Any of the Kate shirts with any of the cardis that you might have look good, as does the Ashley shirt, of course, & the gardeners/poet shirt works well, too. If you bought any of the WK buttonless swing cardis, I wear mine along with a black or white T shirt over them. Also the ENR wool blend tunic from a few seasons ago with a T shirt under it is a cool casual look. The hooded ponte blazer would be perfect. I also like the poly jersey tops with them. I'll bet you've got lots of pieces that you just haven't thought of yet, so have at. The new charcoal WK cardi with the matching T neck would also look great.

Valued Contributor

On 1/17/2015 Lyn08 said:
On 1/17/2015 JustJazzmom said:

Petite Platinum Railroad Stripe Boyfriend JeanThis is a "boyfriend jean" from the Chicos website. Sammijo, go to the Chicos website and it will show a top or two to wear with the jeans. Here's one:

Platinum Railroad Stripe Boyfriend Jean

I totally forgot about the Linea crochet-look lace top w/matching tank.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Lyn for the picture, I got involved with searching for some items for upcoming bathroom remodel.

I like how those jeans have been styled.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Sorry for the confusion, gang! Yes, I'm looking for advice on what Linea to wear with the boyfriend jeans. I'm also short and sent back that loosely woven tunic with tank after laughing my sizeable butt off while looking in the mirror! What I've found by trying things on is that tunics and boyfriend jeans on me is a no go. Look like a Hobbit.

And most of what I've googled for style advice involves a long, tunic type top with a shorter jacket or sweater over - not my best look either!

Maybe I'm trying too hard! I certainly have enough WK cardis, tnecks and vee neck sweaters to switch it up a bit. Any help is appreciated.

If you haven't tried them, I'm telling you, boyfriend jeans are the way to go!

Super Contributor

You're not old! Wear them just like you see in the magazines. You can pull it off. You'll look great. The only thing abt over 50 to be careful about is showing too much skin as in midriff or low, low necks. So cards, short or long shirts or jackets etc, etc. play around. Have fun.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Tunics work for me, because I'm 5'8" and skinny, so I need a little volume on top.

You may find Linea cardigan sweaters (regular, not long length) and/or a Kate shirt work better for you than tunics.

I have this Linea Pebble Crepe Tunic, and it's not really long and looks good with jeans.

Linea by Louis DellOlio Pebble Crepe Tunic with Pockets

Respected Contributor

I'm 5'2'' and VERY long waisted. I can't wear petites. I don't do leggings because the first time around (I'm 70) the style was a big sweater over leggings and ankle boots. When the forth person told me I looked like an elf I knew it was not a style for me. It made my legs like shorter. I have a pair of old bf jeans and I wear Tnecks or V necks with them. Nothing too long. They're my most comfortable jeans.