Honored Contributor

I also grew up in SoCal and have never heard of Bobbie Brooks.  The brands I remember wearing were Jonathan Logan, Evan Piccone, White Stag, Catalina and Lantz.

Regular Contributor

I was in high school 1960-1964.  BB was a little pricey for me, but I bought it after Xmas, one-half off.  I still have 2 or 3 skirt and sweater sets in a drawer--wish I could till fit in them!!  Wore them in college, too.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@bmorechick   I saw them.  I never heard of the brand (too young) and googled it.  I got Dollar Stores with that brand selling for $5.00, $7.00.  Disbelief....Hideous clothes. Were these tops saved from 50 years ago?  I guess Dollar Stores are moving in to fashion.

Just think....the same thing you are saying here today (regarding hideous clothing) will be said about the jeans you post here frequently, in a few decades.

There will always be people who know little to nothing about fashion and how the past reflects on what we will wear tomorrow.

...and some of the jeans are hideous and unimaginative right now.  

I've always wondered how people who seem to be so wrapped up in labels function with people on a daily basis. 

Imagine the conversations...

Boring!

Honored Contributor

So.... John Cougar Mellancamp is from Indiana.   My friend was half right when she said he was from the East Coast.  Indiana is “east” of California. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, of course I remember Bobbie Brooks. That brand, Jack Winter, Catalina, White Stag and Jantzen were sold at the Px on the Army post when I was in school. The military stores would always carry high-end clothing lines and my mom just loved it. She bought me my first double knit pantsuit from the Px...it was Jack Winter. 

@SilleeMee  White Stag was the coup de grasse.  I worked over time at my mother's restaurant to buy a pair of green/purple/yellow plaid WS shorts and a white WS  parka.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, of course I remember Bobbie Brooks. That brand, Jack Winter, Catalina, White Stag and Jantzen were sold at the Px on the Army post when I was in school. The military stores would always carry high-end clothing lines and my mom just loved it. She bought me my first double knit pantsuit from the Px...it was Jack Winter. 

@SilleeMee  White Stag was the coup de grasse.  I worked over time at my mother's restaurant to buy a pair of green/purple/yellow plaid WS shorts and a white WS  parka.

@Nonametoday 

White Stag back then was excellent quality. Then things changed and they started making more stuff in China...that's when the brand became run-of-the-mill and it was sold at Walmart. Still a good choice and better than some other off brands sold there.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm from the Midwest and definitely remember Bobbie Brooks brand. I don't remember where I bought the clothes, but I definitely had skirts, sweaters, etc with the BB label. For me it was in the mid 60s.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'm from the Midwest and definitely remember Bobbie Brooks brand. I don't remember where I bought the clothes, but I definitely had skirts, sweaters, etc with the BB label. For me it was in the mid 60s.

Yes...skirt and sweater sets seem to be what most of us remember and wore, ourselves 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nonametoday 

White Stag back then was excellent quality. Then things changed and they started making more stuff in China...that's when the brand became run-of-the-mill and it was sold at Walmart. Still a good choice and better than some other off brands sold there.

@SilleeMee   Yes, you can’t just google a brand name and assume that what you find, is the way this brand has always been.  

Once the brand name has been sold and the manufacturing has been moved out of this country, so much changes. 

I do purchase some clothing brands locally that are made in CA...nice quality, just a bit more expensive.  But that’s a topic for another thread. 🙃

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday  also in the 60's  Young Edwardian.