Honored Contributor

Re: Bob Mackie's Big Deal 8/6

I never have understood this thinking.  As a young woman and now I wear whatever color I want and like.  

To me no one looks bad in any color.  IMO the"not looking good in this color" is something that is old fashioned, outdated and never was the truth that women swallowed.  I am amazed that women believe this today.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo   I think the brunette would look lovely.   I think it would add dimension and depth to your look.  Adding some gold into an otherwise drab blonde changed my whole look....bought some life into an otherwise neutral fair palette.  You are fashion forward and I understand your goal.  Go for it...maybe try in increments to find your best look with your skin tone, there are so many shades of brunette.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I never have understood this thinking.  As a young woman and now I wear whatever color I want and like.  

To me no one looks bad in any color.  IMO the"not looking good in this color" is something that is old fashioned, outdated and never was the truth that women swallowed.  I am amazed that women believe this today.

@Imaoldhippie, if that's your philosophy, then go with it.  However, I would strongly disagree with you.  I know what looks good on me.  I own a mirror.  From clothing to hair, there are colors that look better on me than others and there are colors that look absolutely dreadful on me.  

I believe this to be true for most people.  I think we all have colors that look better on us than others and some that don't look good on us at all.  Some can choose to wear any color they want and that is up to them.  I choose not to.   

With my eye and skintone, white blonde highlights and a neutral base color look way better on me than gold.  I've seen the photos of both. 

I look downright sickly when I wear a yellow based green.  My skin takes on the color the shirt.  I look much better in stark white than ivory.  I could go on.  LOL 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Color Me Beautiful was such a big deal in the 80s.  I went to several home parties and was labeled different seasons by 2 "experts."

I too know what (I think) looks best on me.  There are some colors that make me look sick, while other colors enhance my skin tone.

Sometimes I think self proclaimed experts need glasses (or need  their scripts changed).  At times their suggestions are far from complimentary.  Then again, I do not always find what they are wearing complimentary.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Color Me Beautiful was such a big deal in the 80s.  I went to several home parties and was labeled different seasons by 2 "experts."

I too know what (I think) looks best on me.  There are some colors that make me look sick, while other colors enhance my skin tone.

Sometimes I think self proclaimed experts need glasses (or need need their scripts changed).  At times their suggestions are far from complimentary.  Then again, I do not always find what they are wearing complimentary.

@lulu1 

Same here ... me and my mirror determine the colors I wear.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Nonametoday 

My overall coloring is already pretty bland. Hey it is what it is!  But I'm thinking a rich brown will liven things up!

I've always liked the look of dark hair with blue eyes so why not?

@ALRATIBA got my attention when she said altering her hair color affected the colors that she wears. I hadn't really thought about that

@Andreatoo   When I was about 30, I was sitting in my hairdresser chair, a pretty celebrated lady in our community of hairdressers and she exclaimed "you have such beautiful, thick hair but your color is just not very exciting, won't you admit?"  I heard, I heard her.  Yes, I did.  I asked her what to do.  She made me a loverly redhead and I kept it that way for years.  Yes, red does fade so you have to add toners more frequently but if your hair is short it is easily done.  You don't have to go red.  Not suggesting that but get a color and keep it vibrant with toners, conditioners, etc., whatever it takes to make it and you "pop."

Honored Contributor

If I were to buy this top, that gray combo would be the color I'd want.  But as someone who is "hippy", I will not buy a straight bottom hem top.  I don't know why they don't put side slits in tops for easier movement.

I know not everyone has the problem I have but even if you are slim through the hips, is there a problem with a side slit?  Wouldn't it still work?  Trying to figure out why everyone doesn't do this to their tops.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

If I were to buy this top, that gray combo would be the color I'd want.  But as someone who is "hippy", I will not buy a straight bottom hem top.  I don't know why they don't put side slits in tops for easier movement.

I know not everyone has the problem I have but even if you are slim through the hips, is there a problem with a side slit?  Wouldn't it still work?  Trying to figure out why everyone doesn't do this to their tops.

I am one of those who (generally) do not like the side slits.  It's just a personal preference, but sure - it would work.  (Just guessing here but it's probably cheaper to not do a side slit, maybe that is a factor).

@ALRATIBA  pretty top - I like the gray combo - enjoy it!

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Sometimes I think self proclaimed experts need glasses (or need need their scripts changed).  At times their suggestions are far from complimentary.  Then again, I do not always find what they are wearing complimentary.

@lulu1  ^^ YESSSSS.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I never thought much about this....but this summer I bought a really cute Swiss dot shirt in a bright lime green.  I’ve worn it only twice....both times the shirt itself got a compliment, but whenever I looked in the mirror I would be struck by how it gave my face a startling  greenish cast!  Though I love yellowish green, I won’t be buying clothes in that shade anymore!