Esteemed Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

Marilyn is spinning in her grave. 

Somehow, I rather doubt it.  Geez.  The hyperbole....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Good grief. The dress is not a sacred object. Marilyn has been dead for 59 years and no longer owns the dress.

Which is exactly why it should be preserved. I think Kim overstepped her bounds with this stunt.

What do you mean by "over stepping bounds?"  What does that even mean in this context?  I'd say she bit off more than she could chew, but the over stepping of bounds sounds like she should be slapped on the hand sent back to the corner to sit. @cody2 

@gertrudecloset I meant exactly what I said. To overstep ones boundaries is to go beyond what is proper or allowed, in this case, to ask a Museum to wear the dress. Those boundaries apply to Kim as much as they would to you or I. Of course we wouldn't ask because the reply would be a big, old NO. IMO, her boundaries are the same as mine. But because she thinks she is so important and that she wants that dress to attract attention, she went over her boundaries IMO. And its ok with me if we don't agree. There is room for more then one opinion here. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bob Mackie Article

[ Edited ]

@cody2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Good grief. The dress is not a sacred object. Marilyn has been dead for 59 years and no longer owns the dress.

Which is exactly why it should be preserved. I think Kim overstepped her bounds with this stunt.

What do you mean by "over stepping bounds?"  What does that even mean in this context?  I'd say she bit off more than she could chew, but the over stepping of bounds sounds like she should be slapped on the hand sent back to the corner to sit. @cody2 

@gertrudeclosetI meant exactly what I said. To overstep ones boundaries is to go beyond what is proper or allowed, in this case, to ask a Museum to wear the dress. Those boundaries apply to Kim as much as they would to you or I. Of course we wouldn't ask because the reply would be a big, old NO. IMO, her boundaries are the same as mine. But because she thinks she is so important and that she wants that dress to attract attention, she went over her boundaries IMO. And its ok with me if we don't agree. There is room for more then one opinion here. Smiley Happy

Well if you insist:  You used the term improperly in THIS instance @cody2 .  Wrong context.  But that's your business too.  

As if YOU know what's proper to ask of a Museum.  Garments are preserved to be used again in many, many instances.  The Entertainment world has a wardrobe aspect to it and they do in fact seek certain garments for period movies or shows.  Marilyn Monroe wasn't royalty.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@gertrudeclosetI meant exactly what I said. To overstep ones boundaries is to go beyond what is proper or allowed, in this case, to ask a Museum to wear the dress. Those boundaries apply to Kim as much as they would to you or I. Of course we wouldn't ask because the reply would be a big, old NO. IMO, her boundaries are the same as mine. But because she thinks she is so important and that she wants that dress to attract attention, she went over her boundaries IMO. And its ok with me if we don't agree. There is room for more then one opinion here. Smiley Happy

Well if you insist:  You used the term improperly in THIS instance @cody2 .  Wrong context.  But that's your business too.  

As if YOU know what's proper to ask of a Museum.  Garments are preserved to be used again in many, many instances.  The Entertainment world has a wardrobe aspect to it and they do in fact seek certain garments for period movies or shows.  Marilyn Monroe wasn't royalty.

@gertrudecloset Well, if YOU insist. Carry on without me. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@gertrudeclosetWell, if YOU insist. Carry on without me. Smiley Happy

All's well that ends well @cody2 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@gertrudecloset   No, they are not preserved to be worn again.  They are preserved for posterity.  Even the gowns at the Goodwill shows cannot be worn nor touched by the observers for fear of destruction because of their fragility.  

Honored Contributor

I was shocked she was permitted to wear the gown.

Anyone can ask for anything. I think it's all on the person who OK'd it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Here is what I found from the very institution this dress was worn at:

The Costume Institute Conservation

The Costume Institute's conservation department supports an active curatorial program of exhibitions, publications, and loans through its preservation, conservation, and technical research of the 33,000 objects in The Costume Institute's collection, spanning from the fifteenth century to present.

The complex construction of garments and accessories, with diverse and sometimes incompatible materials joined into a single object, complicates their preservation. Consumable and ever-changing, fashionable clothing is seldom made with a primary concern for longevity. Cutting-edge designers often experiment with innovative materials that have unknown and unpredictable aging properties. Since most garments require the presence of a body to realize their intended appearance, conservation treatments and mounts must restore structural integrity and dimensionality to the garment as worn while not interfering with the natural drape of the fabric.

Conservators in The Costume Institute excel in the practices and theories of costume and textile conservation, with specific expertise in haute couture garment construction, the creation of custom mounts for storage and exhibition, digital documentation methods, and technical analyses. They are responsible for setting guidelines for the storage, handling, and display of the collection. They are also active in conservation education, providing lectures for specialized groups, students, and the public. The department was a forerunner in establishing a robust integrated pest management program and a key collaborator in the creation of the museum’s freezer facility for pest mitigation.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with Bob.  Kim can't hold a candle to Marilyn.  The dress looked blah on her.