Respected Contributor

Re: Blouses? Anyone Wearing These Days?

I have tee shirts long and short sleeve. Cotton feels so good. Long sleeve button shirts are a must. I have several denim ones. Also have a few linen tops but they wrinkle easy. Plus the ironing.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just looking through my closet yesterday and realized that I haven't worn a blouse since I retired.....I have 7 of them, but they are too dressy for everyday. I want to wear the denim one though....I really like that one...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

The majority of tops I wear are either shirts or blouses.  Love the look, and the ease-- to me, buttoned shirts are both aesthetically pleasing, and practical.  A bit of that "Hollywood two-sided tape" prevents gapping between buttons.

Today wore a fitted, white shirt, tailored dark denim pencil skirt, thin French blue cardigan, long delicate chain with tiny pearls danging from it, tights, short gray boots.

There's something about a fresh, white blouse-- feels so good!

@Oznell

Thank you for the Hollywood tape reminder. (Yes, I also have that.)

That is a nice look!! I was just thinking about my denim pencil skirt, but wondered if I had given that away. It may have gotten too snug and is hiding somewhere in the back of the one closet. I'll search. Again, thanks for this reminder, too!

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Harpawrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

I wonder, are shirts considered blouses? Blouses always made me think of more dressy clothing. I have a three or four dressy pullover tops that are blouse-like, but I rarely have cause to wear them..

I live mostly in tees. However, just recently, I have discovered the joy of a good denim shirt. I bought two at J.Crew and love them. I also bought a denim jacket. And I will be receiving a white chambray boyfriend from them soon.

@suzyQ3,

That's the problem. I don't consider a shirt a blouse. Yes, dressy! So, cotton-span is out. I meant something with silk, or silky fabric, nice styling, perhaps button front or back closure. (And I don't do huge flowers or flamingos!)

So, with this criteria, D&C is out, SG is out, MS is out, IM is out, BM,....etc. and so forth...and there is always something I don't care for in a Halston piece.

@Harpa, have you taken a look at Ann Taylor. That's where I had purchased the ones I mentioned in my first paragraph. They fit your description to a T (or tee if I'm punning).

And no, I save the huge flowers and flamingos for tees and sweaters. :-) I actually do like flowers. Flamingos might scare me a bit.

@suzyQ3

Yes, Ann Taylor!

One thing about Ann Taylor is that when their designer/s gets on a kick about a detail, they don't let go until they milk that detail completely dry (or out of fashion.)

Their new detail seems to be ties on the sleeves.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50- sorry, but the "new" Coldwater Creek is nothing like the "old" Coldwater Creek, in my opinion.  I toss my new CWC catalogs in the recycling as soon as I get them.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametodaywrote:

@Harpa  I am dressed for church, but have about 20 minutes before I need to leave so thought I would look in. 

Today, I am wearing a lovely, somewhat transparent, pink blouse by LDO which requires a camisole.  It is a blush color, has whitish-blush circle dots of a tiny eyelash-like raised pattern, however, very small circles (perhaps 3-4 would comprise the size of a quarter) witha pu**y bow. 

With it, I am wearing a lined crepe pencil skirt of a slightly darker color but int he same pink-blush family by Mark Zunino.  Natural colored panty hose, black leather crock-embossed handbag and black patent pumps.

All items are a few years old but well made and something I keep and wear about once a year.  With my pink pearls and earrings by KJ Lane, what I am wearing has the soft look of Palm Sunday.

Although as I noted above the blouse I am wearing is LDO from a few years ago, Isaac Mizrah has one similar this year (A302356).   The fabric is the same, clipped eyelash dots, and the pink is very similar or same to what I have.  The difference in the two is that mine from LDO has more of a mutton sleeve and a pu**y bow.  I like the bow against the mutton sleeves, gives it a juxtaposition from the more formal sleeve to the softness of the bow.