Contributor

Please help.... What is the difference between a blouse and a shirt?  

Honored Contributor

@honeybeagle

Hi Gracie, Welcome to the Community.

When I was growing up a blouse was something a woman wore and a shirt was something a man wore.

I just looked online to see what the thoughts are out there regarding the difference and found this:

A shirt is the general term for anything from a halter top to a hairshirt, and a blouse refers to something more specific. It doesn't have to be short or long sleeved. They have buttons or zippers, some kind of closure, and are made of a fine fabric like silk or satin so it can hang loosely.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Now, for anyone reading this thread, you probably saw the word "hairshirt" in my previous post.  Like you I went - wha?

A hairshirt is a shirt made of coarse cloth or animal hair.  I think the origin is religious in nature as it was considered penance to have to wear this kind of shirt.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I always think of a blouse as being loose and a shirt as being fitted.

Honored Contributor

I've always thought of a blouse as a top that you button up and a shirt as something you pull over your head.  I call them all tops or shirts.

Respected Contributor

i think and this is what i think....a blouse is dressier and a shirt is more casual.

Honored Contributor

I shirt is a shirt.  Like a "man's" shirt, it buttons down the front and opens up all the way down.  A blouse is put on over the head and doesn't have buttons all down the front--doesn't open up to be worn like a jacket.

Esteemed Contributor

Replies are interesting - I think of a blouse as being more fitted & dressy... and a woman's shirt more like a boyfriend's style.  (looser)

Honored Contributor

Here's another take on the meanings...a shirt is a whole category of garments. Within this shirt category are blouses which are really shirts that are cinched in at the waist with a belt, elastic, whatever and it creates the blousing effect of the fabric...this blousing of fabric makes it a blouse.

Honored Contributor

A hairshirt is a shirt made of coarse cloth or animal hair.  I think the origin is religious in nature as it was considered penance to have to wear this kind of shirt.

More of a penance for the animal that sacrificed its life.