Honored Contributor

Google.com

Honored Contributor

I think originally shirts were worn by men, and blouses by women.  Now the terms are used interchangeably.   That's why you see so many shirts/blouses just called tops.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think originally shirts were worn by men, and blouses by women.  Now the terms are used interchangeably.   That's why you see so many shirts/blouses just called tops.

@Kachina624,

I think the women back in the old days stole their man's shirts, put a belt around them so it would look like it fit them and then called it a blouse...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

A blouse is a blouse, a shirt is a shirt, and a top is a top.  And that's that!!  (lol) ........... I've been calling buttoned men's style (made for women) shirts 'shirts'.  Blouses could be with or without buttons, not as casual, a bit, more or less, dressier fabric-wise.   Tops are everything in-between.   Such as D&Co various tops (not blouses, not menswear type shirts). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

A blouse is a blouse, a shirt is a shirt, and a top is a top.  And that's that!!  (lol) ........... I've been calling buttoned men's style (made for women) shirts 'shirts'.  Blouses could be with or without buttons, not as casual, a bit, more or less, dressier fabric-wise.   Tops are everything in-between.   Such as D&Co various tops (not blouses, not menswear type shirts). 

Right!  Nothing about a shirt says blouse to me, and I don't know where the confusion is.  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

i think and this is what i think....a blouse is dressier and a shirt is more casual.

You took the words right out of my mouth.....I think the same thing!