Respected Contributor

So this man was on with his investment firm that manages people's large sums of money and he said he doesn't know why but consumers are NOT buying apparel.  He said people are concentrated more on spending with electronics and the market to fix their homes is back again.

Clothing ...no.

Smart phones, tablets ... yes.

Respected Contributor

I also heard people aren't buying clothes - but they are buying big ticket items like cars. 

Honored Contributor

Many people use Christmas for the "treat" items.  

Clothing is most sold just before the turn of the season.

Esteemed Contributor

I think people were being cautious with their money in the run-up to the U.S. elections to see which way the wind blows. I also think that the economy is not as healthy as talking heads make it out to be. Retailers can blame the weather, the election, the weather, the millenials, or whatever on why people aren't buying clothes, but they aren't shopping. 

Maybe people don't want to shop in bricks and mortar stores and battle crowds, screaming kids, or rude and non-existent help. Maybe they are fed up with buying clothes that you can't wear right away because it's too hot or cold to wear them. Maybe people would rather shop online at their own leisure when it's convenient for them.

And maybe people are looking at how much stuff they own and re-thinking how much clothes they want or need.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bloomberg Radio/Apparel

[ Edited ]

Could be that we're just not liking the cheaply-made crup coming from over-seas!

Respected Contributor

I agree with that assessment, JustBling. Having the latest electronics is a big thing these days. 

They're expensive, too. That leaves a lot less for other categories of spending.

Eating out is another category that represents a big change in spending from a generation ago. 

Honored Contributor

I bought two turtleneck shirts and a pair of sneakers this morning .... and a new cover for my Kindle.  

(I rent - no home expenses.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Bloomberg Radio/Apparel

[ Edited ]

I own my home free and clear. The upkeep...paint, a new deck, yard maintenance...etc...is killing me. I have very little left over for other things. Property taxes keep going up, not to mention the rising cost of homeowners insurance. It's all adding up and don't see an end in sight. I pray I won't need to buy any major appliances, a new furnace or hot water heater any time soon.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I own my home free and clear. The upkeep...paint, a new deck, yard maintenance...etc...is killing me. I have very little left over for other things. Property taxes keep going up, not to mention the rising cost of homeowners insurance. It's all adding up and don't see an end in sight. I pray I won't need to buy any major appliances, a new furnace or hot water heater any time soon.

@SilleeMee

That's why I rent now.  When we sold our house in CA and moved back to NY ... we decided that we had enough with the expense and work of owning.   

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA,

I've thought about selling my house time and time again. The thing is, rent around here is so high for what I would want to live in and the cost of that rent would set me back even more...more than what I'm spending on my house as it is now. So it seems I'm stuck with this ball and chain for now.