Honored Contributor

Re: Blondes Can't Wear Yellow?

[ Edited ]

Of course anyone can wear any color they want, but that doesn't mean the color looks good on them.  LOL

It depends on the undertone of the color with your skintone and hair color.   I wear colors that I like that I know aren't my best colors but I like them so I wear them.  There are a few things I won't wear though because I look dead or they make me look sickly. 

I think that dress is very pretty on that actress and I think she's very pretty but I don't think that is the best color on her.  I personally think that color on Michelle Williams looks awful.   

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's my screen or my eyes, but the dress colors in the photos aren't very flattering to the two stars' hair color.

Just my opinion, of course.  Maybe in person I'd have a different opinion.

As far as the dresses and the stars, separately very beautiful no matter what.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

That yellow is a bit orange, which has already been said.  The "win" here is the bare shoulders.  

This model's coloring is SO delicate, if this yellow were up under her chin, it would be overpowering.

Honored Contributor

Hair color can be altered and most women do color their hair. I think complexion means more when it comes to colors that work or not.  
A brunette that bleaches her hair is not going to have the same overall coloring as a natural blonde.

I can wear a pale yellow but if it leans gold not so much

Honored Contributor

She looks so lovely!  And I think the color is just wonderful on her.  I never heard that about blondes not being able to wear yellow.  I've always worn yellow and have enjoyed it and thought it looked kind of nice on my coloring.  Perhaps it's more the skin tone?  I have a lot of pink so maybe that helps??  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Well few adults are actually blond. Most born blonds usually turn into dirty brown by the time they become adults.  But bottle blonds are in the majority for women anyway.  I once did meet a true blond.  She was 38 with blond eyebrows and eyelashes. You could see the blond hairs on her arms.  Her hair was bright yellow with some white  in the center. She was so blond, her hair looked white walking in sunlight. And she had light blue eyes. She never wore yellow. She felt uncomfortable with the color.  More green and sometimes black.  Her  complexion was very pale. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn’t Google the other photos posted, but did confirm Anya Taylor Joy was a natural blonde. Specifically, they say dark blonde.

Agree with others saying that skin tone matters most when choosing colors (something I wish I remembered whenever I reach for something pastel!)
Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Most people can wear any color as long as it's the right shade.

The rules about who can wear what color is very outdated.  

I agree with this @Bri369 .  Saying people can only wear certain colors is like saying you can't wear white after Labor Day.  Very dated.  

I wear all colors.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm blonde complected and the brown hair I grew into does highlight nicely in the sun - auburn and light blonde - blue eyes - 

I can wear a very clear lemon or butter yellow.  A concentration of too much does wash me out.

I don't color my hair.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

That dress is gorgeousSmiley Happy