Valued Contributor

Has anyone tried to lighten dark denim?  If so, how did you do it and was it successful?

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat    Always risky becasuse, unlike a factory, you have no control over the results.  Using bleach products can also weaken the fibers of the fabric.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have never tried it but I think they would come out looking like tie dye and/or with white spots all over.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

A no-bleach method using salt can be done. I've never tried it but that would be my choice if I wanted to lighten dark denim.

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat Just search online.  Clorox has a method using a bleach solution then when  faded enough put in  a peroxide solution to stop fading.

Respected Contributor

NO!!   NOOO!!  Don't even think about it.   i once tried, long ago,  washing dark jeans in clorox. they were dark blue solid color jeans. came out gray and void of any color.  they were my 2 yr old's jeans and i wanted them to have that faded worn look, like his Dad's jeans

Jeans companies use methods such as enzyme washes to create their finished product. my guess is  there is a dupe for this but DO NOT USED CHLORINE BLEACH!

Honored Contributor

It depends on what end result you want. If you just want a pair of lighter wash jeans, my advice is to buy a pair of light wash jeans.

If you are trying to get a spot-bleach, almost tie-dye look -- use a 50/50 solution of bleach & water.  Straight bleach will degrade the denim and wear it out. 

I've bleach-dyed denim shirts and jeans, but only in creating designs.  I've never tried to fully bleach any garment.  I used a fan paint brush and flickered it over a shirt (do this outside!).  The result is beautiful and has withstood multiple washings.    I've also used a skinny brush to create bleached daisies down one leg of a pair of jeans.  The main thing to remember: 1) 50/50 solution, and 2) use a light touch.  

Occasional Contributor
When people would bleach their own jeans in the 60’s & 70’s - the jeans were generally 100% cotton & a thicker fabric. They could handle the process much better than the thinner blended fabric that jeans are today.