Frequent Contributor

Black patent leather or black leather pumps okay for Mother of Groom at wedding?

My son is getting married in July at a black tie optional evening wedding and reception. I will be wearing a long sateen twill dress with bolero jacket, silvery gray, quarry color in the Alfred Sung palette, very Audrey Hepburn in style. Is it okay to wear either black patent or black leather pumps with the dress? If either shoe is not a fashion faux pas, which is the better choice, black leather or black patent? Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black patent leather or black leather pumps okay for Mother of Groom at wedding?

It's really hard to say without seeing the dress. I think nude colored shoes (maybe champaign) are always nice and can be dressy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Black patent leather or black leather pumps okay for Mother of Groom at wedding?

I think the black leather would go best with the sateen-very elegant.

(I love black patent but think I would wear the black leather-it sounds like it would blend the best. I think the black patent might distract from the dress).

It sounds really pretty!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

It's really hard to say without seeing the dress. I think nude colored shoes (maybe champaign) are always nice and can be dressy. 

You may want to have a shoe dyed to match your dress.

Trusted Contributor

Your dress sounds beautiful. Because it is an evening wedding, I personally would not wear black leather shoes. If it's a choice between black leather or black patent, I would go with the black patent. As another poster said, it's hard to say without seeing the dress, but my top choice would be shoes that are dressy, "after 5" -- and it will be July, so a dressy, strappy sandal, in a silvery gray or black.

And best wishes to you and your family!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/what-color-shoes-for-bm-quarry-alfred-sung-dresses/

But of the two you mentioned, I would go with the patent.  Weddings deserve a little shine.

Trusted Contributor

NameAlreadyTaken, good find!

The only difference I notice is that the Q/A wedding is late afternoon, while this is evening, black-tie optional, which I think calls for a "dressy" shoe. But the article sure nails the type of dress!

Honored Contributor

I think the patent is still the best for the time of day, the length of your dress and you can do a little shimmer clutch http://www.ebags.com/product/carlo-fellini/rio/140899?productid=1364171&rlid=SEARCH_NO

Trusted Contributor

I would go with the patent, it has shimmer and shine. Purse and shoe.    Very pretty------------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

hanfds down the black patent.  you still can wear the leather and look great!!