Honored Contributor

Black, long/elbow sleeves/long pants?

I am no fashionista, is it just me or is there a ton of black clothes and long pants and sleeves for summer?  I also see it on other fashion shows.  I live in the south and they make me feel hot just looking at them.  Oh yeah and cardigan sweaters.

Spoiler
Cat Frustrated
BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Black, long/elbow sleeves/long pants?

[ Edited ]

Woman on the east coast, particularly NYC wear black year round.

I wear skirts & dresses in the summer in the south and I recently did a little window shopping at the mall and there were racks upon racks of long pants, mostly black.

I have several light cardigans for summer, the A/C in restaurants, etc is usually too cold for me.

I don't get it

@Imaoldhippie

Honored Contributor

My house has a/c, my car has a/c, my office has a/c and everywhere I go has a/c unless I'm sitting outside.  And most places IMO are over a/c'd.

I'm in Ohio in the last couple of days have been on the hot and slightly humid side so the a/c in our offices was turned on.  I have been freezing.  I typically am in a pretty heavy sweater in our office because it's so darn cold. 

Today even though it's not even expected to hit 60, the ac is on.  I have on a 3/4 sleeve dress, a 3/4 sleeve black cardigan over the top and a long sleeve open front sweater over all that because I'm frozen.   

Honored Contributor

I wear black in the summer. I don't like crop, Capri, or ankle pants so I also wear long pants in the summer. I wear lighter weight pants with short sleeve tops. I usually carry a cardigan with me in case the A/C is blasting wherever I am going. If it is really hot and humid I wear knee length skirts or dresses. I also have walk shorts so I have lots of options for outfits in the summer. 

Honored Contributor

I live in the south and yes I wear black year round. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

OP I agree totally. Long sleeve, polyester clothing & black pants  do not say summer wear to me either. They couldn't give me that outfit.

Honored Contributor

Actually , people who take certain drugs do experience feeling cold all the time. It is a side effect of the drug not related to actual temperature. So I suppose they would like this outfit.

As for everything being air conditioned - not everyone spends 24/7 inside. Some of us actually go out and engage in the world.  We go places, we walk, we stop and talk to people, we sit on our porches, water our flowers etc etc.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Actually , people who take certain drugs do experience feeling cold all the time. It is a side effect of the drug not related to actual temperature. So I suppose they would like this outfit.

As for everything being air conditioned - not everyone spends 24/7 inside. Some of us actually go out and engage in the world.  We go places, we walk, we stop and talk to people, we sit on our porches, water our flowers etc etc.

Some people are engaging in the world by working inside most of the day.

Then they go places like restaurants and businesses that are also inside.

"Engaging in the World" happens both inside and out.

Honored Contributor

Here in NYC - we do wear a lot of black even in the summer.   I wear long sleeves if I'm going to be in air conditioning (which is just about everywhere, even at home).  For most places I go - crop pants wouldn't be appropriate.

Honored Contributor

Black is fine any time of year IMO.