Honored Contributor

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not go shopping on Black Friday, and I avoid the mall whenever I can.

That said, I do some online shopping for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

I have a co-worker who is transitioning from a size 16 to a size 12 (but she might actually be a  size 10).  Every day we check in and say hello, and I've been encouraging her to get some more "fitted" pieces to show off her new shape.  (She's still wearing the size 16 pants).

She tells me that she and her 8th grade daughter go shopping on Black Friday; it's their thing.  She is waiting until Black Friday to go out and find new pants.

I think that bras, swimwear, and pants/jeans are probably the most frustrating items to buy for women, and I really can't imagine going shopping for any of those items on Black Friday- sales or not.  

Are the sales that great, in your opinion, that you would venture out to get a new pants wardrobe, knowing that you'll have to try on many pairs in multiple sizes?  Is it worth it to you?

Honored Contributor
Absolutely not, I avoid Black Friday sales at all costs. But I could not stand to still be wearing a size 16 if I had lost enough to be in an 8 or 10. Just couldn't do it.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I avoid Black Friday like the Black Plague. Ugh. Hate throngs of people pushing and shoving. That said, if I went down a size in pants, I would be at the store that very day buying new ones. For every new size I shrank into. Pants gotta fit.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

nooooooooooooo!!!!!  what is she thinking and how could she wait so long to shop for some decent clothes. 

Frequent Contributor

OMG! NO! Don't let her do it ! Lol what I do is, sign up for Black Friday deals. I signed up months ago & now everyday, I have a ton of emails from 2 sites, that inform me of every Black Friday ad. Anything from Hallmark to Macys. Then, I find deals & really way my options on whether I want to brave the crowds & completely lose my mind! Now, if I'm getting half off something like an Xbox, then definitely,  but if I'm not saving a ton, forget it! Its just not worth it. Now, she might not mind the ppl etc. Good for her, hope she finds great deals. You go girl! Lol

Honored Contributor

I suggested that she go by herself (or with daughter) on a weekday to try on pants in her current size.  Find pants that fit, write down the style number or take a photo of the tag. Then, go out on Black Friday if she is so inclined, and buy them on BF. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think the sales are all that great on Black Friday. 

Congrats to your friend! It sounds like she & her daughter have a tradition of going shopping on BF & that is good. I'll bet they have a wonderful time. And hopefully find some new, smaller pants!

I used to go shopping on BF & it was partly about the sales, partly about the season. It was always fun. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Black Friday + Fashion

[ Edited ]

It's amazing what people see as "important!  Last year I had to work over Thanksgiving evening into Black Friday morning and this woman literally ran into the store and grabbed two boxes of plastic boots that were marked $19.99.  She could have gotten them for the entire two months leading up to the sale with the coupons (which we supplied if you didn't have one)!!!  It's a madhouse, so many people don't get it.  

Stores don't take losses.  They play around with prices and coupons to come up to the same number in many cases.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

It's amazing what people see as "important!  Last year I had to work over Thanksgiving evening into Black Friday morning and this woman literally ran into the store and grabbed two boxes of plastic boots that were marked $19.99.  She could have gotten them for the entire two months leading up to the sale with the coupons (which we supplied if you didn't have one)!!!  It's a madhouse, so many people don't get it.  

Stores don't take losses.  They play around with prices and coupons to come up to the same number in many cases.

You can say those last two sentences again! Last year I was stalking a pair of cute, navy Clarks boots on the Q and elsewhere for $240. Our Younkers was open Thanksgiving evening so I made a quick trip there because with all the discounts, I figured I could pick them up for around $130. When I got there and grabbed the boots, I did a quick check and they had marked them up from $240 to $360. I am not kidding! Of course I didn't buy them. I was so mad and lost a lot of respect for that chain (includes BonTon and Herbergers) that day. I did find them online shortly after that for a reasonable price.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I suggested that she go by herself (or with daughter) on a weekday to try on pants in her current size.  Find pants that fit, write down the style number or take a photo of the tag. Then, go out on Black Friday if she is so inclined, and buy them on BF. 

that's a great idea!  i hope she follows your advice.