Esteemed Contributor

How is it even possible to wear a size 16 pant when you are a size 10???!  Even a belt wouldn't cut it!

Even if I were hanging in to reach a size/goal or to reach a goal and remain steady before buying new clothes, there would come at time...even if it were 2AM on a sleepless night...that I would run to the nearest Walmart and get a pair or two to wear until after the holidays when everything is on sale...when things have calmed down and I could take my time choosing several great pairs of pants.

I seriously curtail my B&M shopping from around this time until after the new year...no pushy, irritable crowds for me!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

Everyone is different.  Years ago Black Friday was a highlight for me.  Girlfriends would spend the week-end at the hotel located in the big mall and hit the stores when they opened.  It was a lot of fun.  Of course you could get some of the same deals earlier in the month or wait till after Black Friday, but just being there was the fun.  You didn't have to worry about parking, dragging bags around all day and could get a nap in if you needed one.  If your co-worker and DD love to shop that day, let them enjoy that day.  If they take all day to try on bras, panties, etc., they are together enjoying each other's company and bonding over their shopping.  Life is short and you never know how many more years any of us can do things that we enjoy with our loved ones.

Honored Contributor

There is something hilarious about waiting until Black Friday to go buy pants that fit.

First of all, pants are not a big Black Friday Hot Deal item.  And secondly, I'm guessing she's not terribly into fashion if she can walk around in size 16 pants when she's really a 10.  What does she use to hold them up, a rope?

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention, I only shop online on BF, so perhaps that's why I find her preference unbelievable.

Regardless, I hope she has fun shopping with her daughter.  (And I hope her pants stay on.)

Respected Contributor

I'm guessing she and her daughter have their tradition and she feels it will add to the fun to shop for her new clothes.  I get that.  I wouldn't do it myself but I totally get it.

My Black Friday tradition is to talk my husband into going into the belly of the (shopping) beast with me.  I have to convince him every year that we'll have fun. We do not actually shop for sales, rather we buy a hot beverage and wander around the fancier department stores looking at lights, decorations and enjoying the hustle bustle.

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

I'm guessing she and her daughter have their tradition and she feels it will add to the fun to shop for her new clothes.  I get that.  I wouldn't do it myself but I totally get it.

My Black Friday tradition is to talk my husband into going into the belly of the (shopping) beast with me.  I have to convince him every year that we'll have fun. We do not actually shop for sales, rather we buy a hot beverage and wander around the fancier department stores looking at lights, decorations and enjoying the hustle bustle.

I like that.  I think I could actually handle "not-shopping shopping." happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Black Friday + Fashion

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon

Not-shopping shopping is really fun.  And the beautiful lights put me in the mood to get my own decorations up. 

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@faeriemoon

Not-shopping shopping is really fun.  And the beautiful lights put me in the mood to get my own decorations up. 

@islandgrrl, not-shopping sounds non-stressful.  I can see how it can be motivational!!

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

It's amazing what people see as "important!  Last year I had to work over Thanksgiving evening into Black Friday morning and this woman literally ran into the store and grabbed two boxes of plastic boots that were marked $19.99.  She could have gotten them for the entire two months leading up to the sale with the coupons (which we supplied if you didn't have one)!!!  It's a madhouse, so many people don't get it.  

Stores don't take losses.  They play around with prices and coupons to come up to the same number in many cases.

You can say those last two sentences again! Last year I was stalking a pair of cute, navy Clarks boots on the Q and elsewhere for $240. Our Younkers was open Thanksgiving evening so I made a quick trip there because with all the discounts, I figured I could pick them up for around $130. When I got there and grabbed the boots, I did a quick check and they had marked them up from $240 to $360. I am not kidding! Of course I didn't buy them. I was so mad and lost a lot of respect for that chain (includes BonTon and Herbergers) that day. I did find them online shortly after that for a reasonable price.

********************************I find that just about anything can be found on Amazon and if there's any problem they'll contact the vender for you!!!!!

Honored Contributor
Black Friday isn't too bad if u pick a place and get there early
We go to one mall around 7 and we are usually home by lunch