Honored Contributor

Re: Binder Clips And Misleading Online Photos

@sidsmom @I think it is deceitful.I see the photo and they give models measurements and say she is wearing size S.I look at garment measurements or sizing charts and think I am a size S too but the model is much slimmer looking and the item fits her perfectly so I order M.It arrives and is too big ...return time again.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom @I think it is deceitful.I see the photo and they give models measurements and say she is wearing size S.I look at garment measurements or sizing charts and think I am a size S too but the model is much slimmer looking and the item fits her perfectly so I order M.It arrives and is too big ...return time again.

Easy fix.

For size choice, always use measurements.

Boom.

Fixed it. 

Trusted Contributor

Shawn used to wear QVC clothing with binder clips in the back when she first started.

It may be misleading but it's common.

Esteemed Contributor

Using clips for a magazine photo shot is one thing.

However, using clips on QVC models is deceiving.  We are told the height and size of the models to help us determine how we might look in the garment.  Of course, despite knowing measurements on a garment, this modeling is supposed to give us an idea of what we would likely look like wearing the garment.

The only time I saw clips used in real life was when my DD was trying on wedding gowns.  Obviously, they didn’t have samples in all sizes, so they used clips in the back of the dress 

to show the end result.  And they ordered the proper size after that.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Using clips for a magazine photo shot is one thing.

However, using clips on QVC models is deceiving.  We are told the height and size of the models to help us determine how we might look in the garment.  Of course, despite knowing measurements on a garment, this modeling is supposed to give us an idea of what we would likely look like wearing the garment.

The only time I saw clips used in real life was when my DD was trying on wedding gowns.  Obviously, they didn’t have samples in all sizes, so they used clips in the back of the dress 

to show the end result.  And they ordered the proper size after that.

As someone else noted, I remember seeing clips on Shawn several years back (on the outside of the back of a blazer of some sort). The truth of the matter is that for those of us with slim torsos, there is often just way too much fabric in the clothing offered. But I'm not sure it's done much (at all?) anymore. Most of the models turn around or we see them coming and going, etc. I think it would be difficult to conceal.

At the stores I frequent, they use long "T" pins to make the clothing fit the mannequins better. It is, indeed, a misleading but obviously very common practice.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom @Not fixed...why have a model then and give her size and measurements. 

Esteemed Contributor

Stylists working for photoshoots have always used clips, clothespins, or whatever to alter clothing so that they look better than what they really are. A cheap fast fashion brand like Asos is not a surprise but all photos in fashion do this.

Likewise stylists will also split open back seams to fit garments to celebs who aren't sample sizes for photos so that they "fit". It's all smoke and mirrors but the average person flipping through a magazine or print catalog would have no idea of what really goes on.

Now stylists turned fashion designers try and make you believe that clothes you see on tv or a video really fit a model through hiding the fit of a garment by excessive accessories like scarves or never buttoning closed a fitted jacket.

Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Yes, it is not a secret. But when you depend upon seeing models or photos vs shopping in person, the customer needs accurate fit information. This leads to lots of unnecessary return expenses.

I always thought that Bobbie Ray Carter of HSN had to have customized clothing. She is so tiny that I can not imagine her being able to wear off the rack.

@granddi On HSN, I've hear Bobbie Ray and Marlo say when they've had an item altered. They're honest about it, which also helps me make my decision. 

Honored Contributor

Sundance catalog does this a lot. I’ve ordered many thing that look like they fit the models and then hung like a tarp on me. 

Trusted Contributor

I've seen those binder clips on the models on HSN a few years ago. They try to hide it.  The models stay in place and do not turn around ... I noticed it when she slightly turned.