Super Contributor

Re: Big plans for losing those extra pounds...

Tape the weight goal you have set on a large piece of paper to your scale. It is amazing how that visual number you look at each time you weigh yourself will make your body's mindset make you conscious of your goal unconsciously....it really worked for me to lose 10 pounds! Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tips gilrs. Any help is appreciated. I will give you an update, good or bad!! LOL

Honored Contributor

Don't give up! You will get there. And those few extra pounds are never going to be as bad for you as the smoking was. That is a real accomplishment, to quit smoking.

As someone who has battled weight all my life, I understand the games we play with ourselves, just keep at it and be honest with yourself about your habits (and you already are), and you'll make it!

Super Contributor

1. Exercise.

2. Divorce yourself from food. It is not your lover or friend. Eat to live not live to eat.

I've lost 50 lbs in the last six months and it worked for me.

Now....keeping it off...that's the hard part!

Honored Contributor

Find some exercise you like to do-- I use a stationary bike and while on it I read or do crossword puzzles. The time goes faster when you are doing something while riding. Set up some music on a CD player or a boom box while doing your exercise.

Start slowly first- maybe 10 minutes and add a few minutes each day, I worked up to a half hour daily.

Get rid of diet drinks and high fructose corn syrup (there are many items that contain HFCS) and you will have to learn to read labels.

Eliminate highly salted foods-- fast food restaurants as well as the 'chain' restaurants are known for putting a lot of salt into their food.

If you dislike drinking plain water, add a lemon slice or a lime slice or switch to sparkling water-- again read labels for sodium (salt content). I like the Pellegrino orange flavored water with dinner.

Don't skimp on dairy-- if you can drink skim milk (it provides the calcium and Vit D you need w/o the fat) but drinking 1% is fine too. Many women skip or skimp on dairy because they are afraid to gain weight, but we need the calcium for our bones especially after menopause when estrogen causes our ability to have strong bones lessens.

Again this also goes back to exercise-- weight bearing is best like walking or dancing or jogging for our bones. Best thing is to keep active.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼