Trusted Contributor

Re: Big Hand Bag, Small Hand Bag, NO Hand Bag?

A large bag for me, preferably a hobo because I need my "stuff" with me no matter where I go.

Honored Contributor

no handbag? the only time i go "no handbag" is when i am walking. i could never do no handbag.

i have always been a big handbag person, but i have taught myself to use small handbags also. so, i use big, small, and everything in between.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Monday through Friday I live out of my work/commute bag which is a NorthFace backpack (yeah, I know...but it's what this career girl needs).  In the evenings or weekends when I use a handbag, it is a smallish one...right now I prefer clutches.  

Honored Contributor

Depends on what one thinks is large and small.  

For me, anything under 12x12 is small.  I not only choose based on what I carry inside, but also as a fashion statement, how do they look on me and do they match my style. 

I see them as accessories and as much thought needs to be put into them as jewelry and shoes.  Although, I don't carry much, I like the statement a large handbag makes.   

Honored Contributor

I use pretty large handbags for everyday and change them often.  I do have small evening bags for special occasions.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago i carried the kitchen sink with me to work.  One day a co-worker said "you do realize you are going home in a few hours, you don't need to carry everything you own everyday."  She was right. 

I hate digging in a black hole for everything.  Now it's wallet, that darn key fob thingy, pen. lipstick.  I have a box of Kleenex in the car.  Also some hand sanitizer and sunglasses.

If I am going to be all day, and not just a quick run to a store, I take my pill box in case I'm not home at 5 when I usually take my BP meds.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Impossible for me to use a small handbag.  

I'm a medium with multiple zip compartments, and zip closing (for security) and strap that's convertible from cross body to shoulder.  

My preferred size is about 11 x 11" but I can go as high as 15"x15" depending on what the bag is made from.

I don't do leather, ever.

@ALRATIBA 

the compartments are vital! Can't do without them

I tried to be a small bag gal, and I did it for years since the $40 Pietro orange bag I picked up on clearance from Shop NBC refused to die, but I finally laid it to rest.

I'm pretty picky so I went through a few more bags till I landed on the medium Born crossbody that I carry now. I even had this gorgeous olive bag from Banana Republic that a young woman chased me around Walmart 'Maam! Maam!' to find it where it was from. I even tried to talk her out of it but she insisted it was her favorite color..'mine too!' but an awkward shape and NO compartments??!

Honored Contributor

I started carrying a small crossbody bag a few years ago. I used to carry medium to large bags, but they were really bothering my shoulder so I switched. It wasn't easy. I was used to carrying everything around with me all the time. I really had to prioritize what to carry. 

Honored Contributor

BIG. 

And has to be a shoulder bag. Don't like carrying anything *in the crook of my arm*.

I carry a full size wallet.  Full size sunscreen.  Large sunglass case. Large pack of wipes for quick hand washing.  Snacks and bottled water for grandkids usually. 

No makeup case, though!  Just lip balm and lip stick.

Esteemed Contributor

Very small with many compartments, or no bag and pants pockets.   I own 2 purses.  Both Baggallini "Everyday" style.  A beige one for summer; a black one for winter.  When they get dirty, I toss them in the washer.  Both are over 5 years old and could last me many more years.  

When I worked, I always had different bags that matched my shoes or outfits.  I carried a big wallet inside my bag -- but found that I used the wallet several times a day and rarely ever used the other contents of my bag.  So I ditched the big bag and kept the wallet.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt