Honored Contributor

Re: Big Hand Bag, Small Hand Bag, NO Hand Bag?

[ Edited ]

Try as I might to downsize, I remain a big handbag girl.

What really cracks me up are the ladies who think they are downsizing to a small cross body bag, then proceed to hang a hundred things on the OUTSIDE of the bag : key chain with a thousand keys, hand sanditizer, ID, cell phone case, etc.  I mean, what's the point of that???

Honored Contributor

I have tried to downsize to a small bag.  Last year I tried a Dooney crossbody - couldn't even fit my EpiPen in it, so it's in my closet.  I should have returned it.

I am just more comfortable with my large tote.  It's not a mess, it's actually organized, but it carries everything I need.  

Honored Contributor

My bag is a Lug Tote, and has everything in it and I can add more if necessary.  I do not carry any bags in to any stores or restaurants, bars, etc.  If I need cash or CC if have pockets on my jeans.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I  was baptized by fire. Many years ago the store I was working at changed the security policy. We were only aloud to use a tiny purse and they gave us a very large clear plastic purse type bag to put the rest of our stuff in. I learned very quickly what I needed and what I didn't .

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer a bigger bag.

I've tried hard to downsize over the years. Never works.

My stuff is currently in a modestly sized crossbody bag. Can I sling it over my shoulder and go?

No. I usually drop it into a tote, and carry it that way. 

Goofy, huh?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have always been a BIG hand bag lady.  My Mother always carried a big hand bag. I suppose I got the big hand bag gene from Her!   I use a tote bag year round...different colors for different seasons.   I NEED my STUFF with me at all times. 

I have tried to downsize to a small hand bag....it never works for me.

My hand bag is sort of like my personal secretary....it can take care of me in any emergency.  My hand bag is not really a fashion statement, but, more of a necessity of need when I leave home.

and HOW ABOUT YOU?🙂

@SeaMaiden Big but not huge for me.  I have to feel comfortable that I have essentials if an emergency occurs when I leave my home. Absolutes are my phone, a good portable charger, medical insurance cards and emergency contact info.  Assorted personal products are a plus. I try to be prepared just in case.  
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I change my bags out based on functional need instead of color or outfit, so sometimes it's a small bag and sometimes it's a tote. I usually carry a medium-sized bag with plenty of organization, like a Lug Scoop or Ranger.

If I'm going to a convention or festival, I'll upsize to something larger. I love a bag that converts to a backpack if I know I'll be standing or walking a lot. I love a tote if I'm going to be sitting more often.

If I'm going to something more sporty, I love something that can carry the essentials, like my wallet, keys, asthma inhaler, and cell phone, and may have some side pockets for a folding parasol umbrella or water bottle.

My sister carries a HUGE bag, sometimes more than one. I bought her a Lug Boxer weekender bag and she carries the thing around has her daily purse.

Honored Contributor

Impossible for me to use a small handbag.  

I'm a medium with multiple zip compartments, and zip closing (for security) and strap that's convertible from cross body to shoulder.  

My preferred size is about 11 x 11" but I can go as high as 15"x15" depending on what the bag is made from.

I don't do leather, ever.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank God I don't have that expense! Cause there are some bags that I truly like!

But no bag atall for me! For years now! If it can't fit in my pocket, then it's just not coming along.

On excursions, though, I'll wear my strappy camera case around my waist. But then I always have some kind of pocket to take my wallet and lipstick.

Trusted Contributor

i bring a large bag, but i always have a clutch or a large sized wallet inside. when i run down to the store or wherever, i just pull out the clutch or wallet if i don't necessarily need everything else. it's often that i don't need everything else.