Trusted Contributor

Best place to resell clothing?

I don't really want to bother taking pictures and posting on Ebay, but I was wondering if theat is the best place to resell clothing?  I see Poshmark, ThreadUP and Mercari. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Respected Contributor

Re: Best place to resell clothing?

I used Thred UP one time about a year ago and everything sold and no returns. It took about 3 months for my box to be processed.

So I sent some fall things in July and as of Nov 5 they have not been processed. According to the web site (last time I looked) they are not accepting any more items. Not sure what that means. 

I went back to a local resell. But I only take good things. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I looked up local consignment shops.  i don't deal with shipping and going to the PO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did Thread Up a few years back and hardly got anything ($$)  for what I turned in.  Ebay is the only other place I have experience in.  It's a pain to take pictures.  However, as of a few weeks ago, you can now start uploading video.

I've never done a consignment store.

Respected Contributor

I take mine to a consignment store.  I separate what I think they will take and what I will donate.  The consignment store takes articles that are in excellent condition, in style and current brands.  They also turn down what does not sell well in their experience.

Took some a couple days again, and pickup up $85 dollars from my previous trip.  They took everything I took in this load.

I put a donate pile in the car and if consignment does not take everything I add the rejects to my donate bunch and on the way home, drop them off at a donation center.

Once something comes out of the closet at the house, I want it gone, no second guessing for me.

Honored Contributor

i use thredup and have had a good experience, although you dont get much. if you have high quality items, of course you get more.  they pay for the shipping. you fill a bag or a box and use they label. its very easy once you set up your account. the processing of items is taking quite a while at the moment.

i also sell in facebook groups that i am a part of. you can find them for anything, including qvc and hsn buy/sell groups. i do okay on that also, but it takes some work because you dont want your items to sink down too far down into the group.....you must bump them up daily if you want them to be seen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Sold items at local consignment - the   really good and expensive items sold , but what I received for them was not worth me  utilizing  consignment  again. Will hold my own yard sale , but will advertise brands and sizes before  the yard sale.  There are people who go around and buy certain items to sell via internet.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually only sell purses. I've used EBay and got tired of people expecting something for nothing. Plus shipping got expensive. Plus the time and effort. I'm to old to be bothered. I've tried ThreadUp and you get almost nothing for your stuff and it can take three months for them to even look at your stuff. I've done consignment stores and they are super picky and not worth it either. Now I just donate to our Humane Society and take the tax deduction. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sell at a local consignment shop, Back By Popular Demand.

They have 2 locations in my area, Atlanta, and have been in business for 42 years.  People send them things to consign from all over the country.

They have a website, a Facebook page and are also on Instagram.

I take clothes, purses, jewelry, shoes and small household items to them.  I have done really, really well with them.  Not as well as I would if I had never bought the items in the first place, LOL, but I have been more than pleased.

They also do Facebook lives also from both locations several times a week.

I just picked up a check from them yesterday for just over $300.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?