Esteemed Contributor

Exactly what makes a clothing item a best seller?  Is is the numbers ordered?  I can't imagine some itmes being a best selller.  What am I missing? 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Love Roses   I don't think you're missing anything important.  Different people love different things.  I can't imagine I'd ever wear some of the clothes others rave about buying, but they obviously buy them.  That doesn't mean I would look good in them or that I should even care if I would.

Of course, the other piece is that pyschologically we know people like to belong, to share similarirites with others -  and hearing the sales pitch fires up some people just like some reading here fall for what others tell us they are buying.

Knowing yourself and what fits you and your lifestyle is way more important than what anyone else tells you.  Another lesson from my wise mother and every time I forget it, I end up buying something wrong for me.

Respected Contributor

I've often wondered if they figure returns in. I hear them talk about 1 million have been sold! But, they never say if 50,000 of them were returned. Just wondering.

Esteemed Contributor

@Millie Shops - You are 100% correct. 

I just can't imagine someone buying and wearing tops with large flowers and over scaled prints.  Blue or turquoise colored flowers?  Large Purple flowers?  One designer (SG) offer that stuff regularly.  It's awful.  I think she is imagining some parts of Florida and she thinks that the world wants to dress like they live there.  Yet, the pitch is 'best seller'.  I don't really believe it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I've often wondered if they figure returns in. I hear them talk about 1 million have been sold! But, they never say if 50,000 of them were returned. Just wondering.

The returns should tell you something.  I know they have many returns.  Much of the zonks end up as Lunchtime Specials and yet they were best sellers?  We are not told the truth.  Lately, there's several clearances.............hmmmmmmm, tells me something. 

Honored Contributor

When I see the words "Best Seller" I equate that with: "Poke me, nudge me to buy".Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Hi ladies --

I wonder if the 'best sellers' are tied to the star ratings, I'm not sure.  I also see so many 'lunchtime specials', they seem to have much better prices there than they have in the past???

I see things from vendors that have been gone several years and they are still trying to sell those old products and only at 50% off regular price.  Some purses that were $200-300, still $100-150.

I try to read the low ratings before I purchase, seeing what others had problems with and would that be a problem for me.  I look at how many low ratings--many could have been returned.  Others may not have been returned, but they may have been tossed out or given away.