Honored Contributor

Belts can be tied into a slip knot or square knit BEHIND the coat for an out of view look too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I my younger days I had several belted coats. That's when I had a waist. After my hot flash era my waist disappeared despite exercise and maintaining my Weight Watchers goal weight. I'm only 5'3"so these days any belt just cuts me in half, so I don't wear them at all. At first I missed belted clothes but it's been awhile since my waist-loss and I am OK with that. My goal these days is to elongate my appearance, not cut it down.

Honored Contributor

In High School I had a "dress" I wore a lot.  It was a wool heavy weave navy, gold and ivory weave double breasted garmet that looked more like a jacket than a dress because of the length!  LOL!! I still remember how careful I had to be wearing that because it was so short!  Talking about coats made me think of it.  Oh the "good" old days!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I think belted coats look chic and tailored when standing, but aren't the most comforsthoe to wear sitting or driving  in a car. I have a trench coat with belt but I still wear it open almost all the time. 

Honored Contributor

I wore my newer coat with a belt today.  At first I tied the belt and it worked loose.  Once I knotted it, I was okay.

jcpenney Ana Ana Double Breasted Belted Wool Blend Coat Tall

The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time
Terry Tempest Williams
Honored Contributor

J. Crew makes an awesome one with the appearance of a belt.

I own it in turquoise from a few years ago.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased the Halston Zip faux suede coat with the belt A234395 in black.  I usually wear it with a red and black jacquard print scarf and always wear the belt, which I tie and knot.  Every time I wear that coat I get so many compliments.  It is so figure flattering with the belt that I never wear it without it.  Love that coat!  

Esteemed Contributor

I love a belted overcoat.  Presently I own 8 coats which are belted or have the capacity to be cinched at the waist.  All 4 of my raincoats have belts; I have two wool belteds (a jacket and a full length); a suede belted; and cinched waist on three of downcoats (one jacket, a 3/4 length, and a full length)