Honored Contributor

I have been watching old movies lately and one I was watching from the 50's I noticed that the actress had on a nice tailored wool coat with a buckle belt. That isn't something we see very often and it really was attractive. It certainly emphasized the actresses tiny waist. So often belts on coats are used to pullm in and make a waist but the coat itself is bulky around the waist so it just bunches up. This coat was so nicely tailored that the belt didn't have to pull it in at all and it was a smooth line. So many of the clothes from that 40's - 50's era really show off a woman's figure without having to be revealing and trashy looking the way fashions are today.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I LOVE the look of a tailor coat!

As far as I am concerned some things never go out of style.

Respected Contributor

i love the look of vintage clothing myself, but i don't think it was very comfortable to wear.  remember they were wearing girdles and stockings and such in those days.  ouch!

Honored Contributor

I always think it looks silly to belt a coat.  They are a pain too--who wants to spend time fooling with a belt on a coat?  Don't you lose them somewhere along the way?  They drag in the mud if they come loose. . . etc. etc.  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I guess it wasn't as "effortless" as dressing may be today, but it was classy, ladylike and figure-flattering.

Honored Contributor
I agree those coats looked nice on ladies back in the day, but I also agree I don't care for belts on coats in my own case, except for trench coats. I don't want to be bothered with belts on coats, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I was a young woman in the days before pantyhose and I wore garter belts and stockings. I never found them to be uncomfortable. I do find pantyhose and tights to be uncomfortable and difficult to get in to and out of to use the bathroom. Garter belts and stockings were so much simpler. In those days I was thin and never needed a girdle.

Respected Contributor

That's a look that I like with a 3/4 coat or longer. I have one like this that is my "go to"

for winter.

.myBlackJacket.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Belt on a coat

[ Edited ]

In the 50s we had tiny waists.  We didn't need a girdle!!

Loved the fitted dresses and skirts with sweaters to show it off!

Those were the days!

Living in Florida, we didn't usually wear coats.

Honored Contributor

When i was in high school one Christmas I got a winter white sweater dress, turtleneck, long sleeves and a slim skirt. I had that dress for years. Can't tell you how many luncheon type affairs I wore that dress to. It showed off my figure perfectly while still being totally modest. At one point I did have it shortened as shorter was more stylish. I think I had that dress about 15 years, and when it was finally no longer wearable my heart was broken. When my first husband proposed to me I was wearing that dress.